Meredith
Columbus (Mississippi)

Europe

12-15 day trip to Europe

We are planning a 12-15 days trip to Europe. We are not too picky about the destinations because neither one of us has been to Europe. Italy is a top choice, but we want to maximize our visit and see different cities, countries, cultures.  Does anyone have any suggested itineraries?

Carter from Dublin

Meredith, I'm happy to give you some input on your trip, firstly because you're from Columbus, where my father was born, so you probably know a few of my family members out there, and secondly because I live in Ireland and have been to a good few places around Europe.

Italy - You cannot go wrong with a stay in Sorrento. You have Herculaneum and Pompeii just a short train ride away. Positanoand the drive around the Amalfi Coast is what you go to Italy for. Rome and the Vatican City worth seeing but you'd want to be careful walking around Rome as the subways and streets are filled with pickpockets.

Barcelona is a fantastic city with lots to see and great food. I think one of the most underrated cities in Europe is Lisbon. Very old world but really cool. It's like a San Francisco in Europe, complete with cable cars and huge suspension bridge.

Edinburgh is a great city too. Lots to see and do and you are close enought to Rosslyn Chapel to get a city bus out to it. 

Alternative cities to consider; Prague, Vienna, Stockholm (expensive though).

Hope that helps to some degree.  Tell my family out there I said hello!

1. Sorrento (city)
  2. Herculaneum (attraction)
  3. Pompeii (city)
  4. Positano (city)
  5. Amalfi Coast (attraction)
  7. Vatican City (city)
  8. Barcelona (city)
  9. Lisbon (city)
  10. Edinburgh (city)
  11. Rosslyn Chapel (attraction)
  12. Prague (city)
  13. Vienna (city)
  14. Stockholm (city)

Polly from Washington, DC

Hi Meredith! You guys are going to have so much fun, wherever you go - Europe is great. For the amount of time you have, I'd suggest two options.

The first is stick to Italy for two weeks. While you would only be seeing a single country that way, keep in mind that Italy technically only unified in the late 1800s. Different regions still have their own unique flavor. I'd suggest visiting Venice, Florence, Rome, and the Amalfi Coast.

The second is to pick three cities, each in a different country, and split your time between them. That gives you about 3.5 to 4.5 days in each location. I might suggest Munich, an Italian city of your choice, and Paris. This trip would require a bit more patience, and would probably be more expensive, but would be a fun introduction to Europe.

I would stick to only three cities/countries rather than trying to do more, because each place has wonderful day trips that would allow you to see life outside the city as well. You could visit Versailles, Giverny, or Mont Saint-Michel in France and Neuschwanstein Castle or Dachau in Germany. Italy also has a lot of options for day trips, but make sure you spend a little time in the countryside, checking out hill towns in Tuscany or Umbria.

4. Amalfi Coast (attraction)
  5. Munich (city)
  7. Versailles (city)
  8. Giverny (city)
  9. Mont Saint-Michel (city)
  10. Neuschwanstein Castle (attraction)
  11. Dachau (attraction)

Gery from Brussels

Hi Meredith,

I totally agree with Polly and Anna: if you plan to stay two weeks in Europe, just pick up a couple of places and indulge. So many foreigners think they have to go and visit as much "top favorite" sites as they can to get the most out of their trip. I believe they skip the best part... Most of these famous destinations are so crowded you spend hours in lines and see almost nothing else than other tourists. Not to mention the time spent in planes, cars, coaches, trains and taxis to move from the one place to the other...

Europe only reveals its true savor, its fabulous charms to the ones that travel out of the beaten path and remain long enough in the same place to feel its heart beat. Do not follow tourists guided tours and explore instead smaller streets, local museums, authentic restaurants ... You do not have to show your friends a picture of Mona Lisa, Big Ben, Schonbrünn palace, Waterloo battlefield and San Marco piazza to convince them you went to Europe! Hundred of other destinations are fabulous and much more authentic. The city of Amersfoort in the Netherlands (see picture below) is as charming and ten times less crowded than Amsterdam, for instance.

You can spend a whole life in France, Italy, Spain, UK or Germany without being able to see all their inspiring places. There are wonderful discoveries to be made every square kilometer! So, if you are really looking for a true romantic visit, I'd definitely recommend rank 2 or even rank 3 cities (in the US mainstream tourist hit parade). Charming places in Italy as RavennaBologna -see picture below-, Verona or even remote places like Matera or Civita di Bagnoregio.

Anna suggested Greece as a great place to visit. Athens and the surrounding ancient archaeological sites are quite unique. I love Prague, in Czech Republic (although more and more touristic), Krakow in Poland, the seaside resort of Brighton (England), the south of Spain with its gorgeous arabic palaces, as Seville or Cordoba (Spain)... Not to talk about Burgundy (France) and its famous wines (see picture below). The list is endless.

Why don't you give us a few keywords about your primary interests (e.g. history, gastronomy, landscapes, art museums, contemporary architecture, beer tasting...)? We could help you more precisely. But you can already start dreaming: that's the most important! Gery

1. Amersfoort (city)
  2. Ravenna (metro area)
  3. Bologna (city)
  4. Verona (metro area)
  5. Matera (metro area)
  6. Civita di Bagnoregio (city)
  7. Athens (city)
  8. Prague (city)
  9. Krakow (city)
  10. Brighton (England) (city)
  11. Seville (city)
  12. Cordoba (Spain) (city)

Anna from Athens

I'll agree with Polly that you better pick 2-3 cities rather than try to visit as many as possible. Now in Italy you could easily spend a week, so it's better to be more precise and decide on which cities you'd like to visit the most. RomeFlorence and Venice are the 3 cities that a typical Italy tour covers. You see on the map though that they are far from each other so you'll have to spend some time on the road. Which brings me to my next question: are you planning on renting a car or use public transportation (train). If you travel by car you can go along the coast and visit the South of France: MonacoNice Cannes (and many more).

You can also take a plane and head to any other country/city you'd like. You can do ParisLondon or Berlin.

You can even visit Greece (Athens and one or more islands with Santorini being the most popular one).

4. Monaco (country)
  5. Nice (city)
  6. Cannes (city)
  9. Berlin (city)
  10. Greece (country)
  11. Athens (city)
  12. Santorini (island)

Kemkem from Malaga

I agree with Gery. You could spend a lifetime in any one place, and just scratch the surface. I would suggest Rome and Florence and skip Venice honestly. I would suggest booking the long flight to Rome, and then taking one of the cheap flights to either Istanbul if you feel daring and want a great experience. If you shy away from that, you could do one of the cheap flights to Budapest or Berlin. I am guessing you would totally, absolutely love Berlin at your age. I would suggest changing your browser to a European one when you shop for the tickets for the low cost airlines so they price cheaper. That should fill up your two weeks nicely. I hope you have a wonderful time.

4. Istanbul (city)
  5. Budapest (city)
  6. Berlin (city)

Liane from Indiana

Another option to consider is to pick up a Mediterranean cruise during the period you are they. We find it a cheap form of transportation with your room and food included. You can cover a lot of territory in little time. Opt out of the cruise lines excursions and find your own or explore on your own.  We have done RomeTuscanyAmalfi CoastSicilyVeniceCroatiaAthens Istanbul and many other cities doing this. We always allow ourselves several days before and after cruise to explore on our own. Have fun!

2. Tuscany (state)
  3. Amalfi Coast (attraction)
  4. Sicily (island)
  6. Croatia (country)
  7. Athens (city)
  8. Istanbul (city)

Ciobanu from Bucharest

Hi Meredith,

I know a great website where you can find vacations in Romania

https://familyvacation.com/vacations/romania/gourmet-vacation-in-transylvania This vacation is great if you want to try the best traditional Romanian food. And of course, if you are a wine lover. 

On the website you will find great other places. Just tell me if you need some more advices!

I have been to most of those places on the Website, and they are all great, great Hosts too. Some mansions and castles to rent just for you! They are awesome.

1. Romania (country)

Laura from Kansas City (Kansas)

Gery - I loved your response and agree 100%. Limit yourself to a few places and give yourself time to absorb the essence of the surroundings into your pores!