Shaina
Hilton Head Island

England

Top 5 cities to visit in England?

What are your favorite cities to visit in England and why? I'll be traveling all over for a month and want to see some awesome places. Looking for great food, culture, and people! Thanks! 

Definitely London it's a fab city with lots to do - great museums and art galleries, a very lively theatre scene, lots of good music venues, restaurants, parks....I could go on!

I love the whole area around Oxford - the city itself and the Cotswold District especially Bourton-on-the-Water Burford and Minchinhampton

Bath is worth a look for the Roman baths, Royal crescent and the wonderful Georgian architecture.

Brighton (England) is also a great city and is on the coast.

Finally it's a toss up between Cambridge (England) and Edinburgh (I know it's Scotland!) but I love both cities.

2. Oxford (city)
  3. Cotswold District (attraction)
  4. Bourton-on-the-Water (city)
  5. Burford (city)
  6. Minchinhampton (city)
  7. Bath (city)
  8. Brighton (England) (city)
  9. Cambridge (England) (city)
  10. Edinburgh (city)

Gita from Mumbai

2. Brighton (England) (city)
  3. Oxford (city)
  4. Salisbury (England) (city)
  5. Wiltshire (region)
  6. Lake District National Park (park)

Laura from Tauramena

1. Oxford (city)
  2. Cambridge (England) (city)
  3. York (city)
  4. Brighton (England) (city)

Dabs from Chicago

Are you limiting yourself to just England or the UK?  The distances between England, Wales and Scotland aren't that great, you can get to Edinburgh in Scotland in about 4 1/2 hours by train, you can get to Cardiff in Wales in under 2 hours by train.

If you are just limited to England, I would say, based on the number of times I've been to them London, York, Bath, Warwick (England) and Windsor.  But if you throw the whole UK into the mix, I'd add Edinburgh.

If I had a month I would base myself in several different cities for a few days, you can do a lot of daytrips from London but the train fares can get very expensive if you do not book them in advance.  I just took a trip and stayed in London for several days and then based myself out of York for a few days, with a whole month, I would look at also maybe seeing some of Scotland or Wales.  From London, some easy day trips include Windsor, Hampton Court Palace, Eltham Palace, Greenwich, none of which require advance train tickets and three of which you can even use an Oyster Card to visit (not Windsor).

1. Edinburgh (city)
  2. Cardiff (city)
  4. York (city)
  5. Bath (city)
  6. Warwick (England) (city)
  7. Windsor (city)
  8. Hampton Court Palace (attraction)
  9. Eltham Palace (attraction)
  10. Greenwich (attraction)

Robert from Eindhoven

Hi shaina, 

Of course you have to go to London. So many things to see and do there.  

My second favourite place is York. Lots of history is up there in a great atmosphere.  

Liverpool has got to be on your list too, especially if you like music (lots of live music in the bars and of course birth place of the beatles). 

Of the 2 university cities, I prefer Cambridge (England). Much smaller more beautiful city centre around the universities. It has the feeling of a village where oxford is more like a city.  

You do need to go to the coast in the South; Brighton (England) is a good option with cliffs like beachy head. However, if you like the navy then Portsmouth is a great choice. From there you can take a ferry/hovercraft to the stunning isle of wight.  

Onze bonus city that is still england but on another island is Belfast. Great history of titanic (this was made in belfast), great irish music, lots of history, beautiful area and region around the city like giant's causeway.  

Ik will be a hard to chose 5 cities because Bath/brighton, Edinburgh, Salisbury (England) are all beautiful. And I did not mention manchester, newcastle, leeds bristol and cardiff. And then there are nature beauties like the lakeside district, pembrokeshire in Wales, yorkshirey moors, snowdonia area, the plak district and the highlands. 

Good luck in making your choice but moreover have a great time.

2. York (city)
  3. Liverpool (city)
  4. Cambridge (England) (city)
  5. Brighton (England) (city)
  6. Portsmouth (city)
  7. Belfast (attraction)
  8. Bath (city)
  9. Edinburgh (city)
  10. Salisbury (England) (city)

Chrissy

I'd definitely put Cambridge (England) & Brighton (England) on the list! They're very easy to access from London via train and both cities make lovely, easy day trips from the city.

1. Cambridge (England) (city)
  2. Brighton (England) (city)