Aileen
Saint Thomas, Ontario

England

Smart phone advice

I'm a Canadian travelling to England for 2 weeks in May and need to be connected to home & work while I'm away. Should I rent/ buy a phone in England or try and negotiate a reasonable rate with my home provider?

Crystal from Anchorage

Hello,

I would first at least check what the international rates would be for your phone and if there are any packages available that you could use for the duration of your trip to the United Kingdom

If those seem too expensive, ask your phone service provider if you can get your phone unlocked (if it's not already). This means you can put SIM cards from other phone providers into your phone. That way when you arrive in England you can get a SIM card for a local phone company. There are several options for pay-as-you-go services where you can pay the the amount of call/text/data that you will use.

If unlocking your phone isn't an option you could buy a cheap unlocked phone in Canada before you go or when you arrive into England.

If it were me, I would prefer getting an international package with my provider. It might be a little expensive, but definitely the least amount of hassle. Remember WIFI is widely available in most places and you can place calls through apps like Viber which are very cheap and use WIFI instead of a phone signal to connect the call. 

I hope this helps!

Crystal, Traveler's Toast

1. United Kingdom (country)