Laila
Jerusalem

England

Recommendations for an English countryside vacation?

I'm in love with the English villages and countryside, I'd like to have a nice relaxing vacation in a nice countryside/ village something with the Jane Austen spirit for about one week . I don't have a big budget. Also we are two people.

Thank you

Julie from York

Hi Laila

The English countryside is beautiful. Depending where you go, it can be green, majestic, barren ... or all those things within a few miles.

My top recommendation would be Yorkshire. It's home to two national parks, the Yorkshire Dales in the west and the North York Moors in the East.

For the Yorkshire Dales, don't miss The Forbidden Corner near Leyburn - designed as a folly for the owners' kids, it's now a tourist attraction. It's also suitable for big kids :) You need to book in advance though. 

Also recommended to visit are GrassingtonSkipton(for the relatively intact Castle), Bolton Castle (stunning ruined castle) and Hawes for Wensleydale Dairy Products Ltd - the local cheese that refound fame in Wallace and Gromit. For walking, the area around Malham is beautiful.

Further east - in/near the North York Moors - are most of the places I've written about here: http://www.thegapyearedit.com/travel/top-5-yorkshire-days-out/ The exception is the Yorkshire Sculpture Park, which is further south.

For Jane Austin spirit, visit Harewood House or Castle Howard, two very regal stately homes.

All of Yorkshire has lovely walking (free!) For good value meals, go to the village pubs. Late March/early April is a lovely time to visit, as the baby lambs are frolicking in the fields and the daffodils are in bloom; both making for some great photo opps.

Wishing you a wonderful time exploring England.

Julie

1. The Forbidden Corner (attraction)
  2. Leyburn (city)
  3. Grassington (city)
  4. Skipton (city)
  5. Bolton Castle (attraction)
  6. Hawes (city)
  7. Wensleydale Dairy Products Ltd (restaurant)
  8. Malham (city)
  9. Yorkshire Sculpture Park (attraction)
  10. Harewood House (attraction)
  11. Castle Howard (attraction)

Emma from England

Cornwall Devon Lake District National Park York are all lovely areas to visit. All have spectacular countryside and all near water. Wales and Scotland are particularly beautiful too

1. Cornwall (city)
  2. Devon (metro area)
  3. Lake District National Park (park)
  4. York (city)

Alex from London

Oh I am definitely going to have to agree with Julie on Yorkshire! If you are looking for a great balance between town and country, then the north is where you should be heading. From beautiful cathedral towns such as Durham to the unspoiled landscapes of Northumberland and Cumbria (if you are a hiker, Hadrian's Wall offers spectacular scenery!), rail connections make it very easy to town hop effectively.

Speaking of cathedral towns, both Salisbury (England) and Gloucester (England) in the south offer a great base to further explore the wonderful villages of Wiltshire and Gloucestershire.

Conveniently near London, Henley-on-ThamesWindsor and Richmond are excellent places to spend a day in... or more.

But if you want to experience a large concentration of picturesque villages, each more beautiful than the other, all walkable and easy to navigate, you cannot go wrong with the Cotswolds .

Have a great time exploring!

1. Yorkshire (attraction)
  2. Durham (city)
  3. Northumberland (region)
  4. Cumbria (metro area)
  5. Salisbury (England) (city)
  6. Gloucester (England) (city)
  7. Henley-on-Thames (city)
  8. Windsor (city)
  9. Richmond (neighborhood)
  10. Cotswolds (attraction)

Anna from Athens

You got me at Jane Austen! A lovely place is Arundel which is picturesque, has a castle (although it is expensive to get inside, but you can opt to visit only the gardens which are cheaper and gorgeous). From there you can visit Brighton (England) by car (I went there for the plain reason that Jane wrote about it in Pride and Prejudice). You can also visit Bournemouth Southampton and Portsmouth from there!

Another beautiful place to visit is Lake District National Park up north. There are so many picturesque villages in the area like Windermere Grasmere Keswick. The Lake District is a 3 hour drive from Manchester (if I remember well).

In both cases you'll find many B&B, for all budgets. In Arundel I stayed at Hanger Down House which I absolutely recommend!

1. Arundel (city)
  2. Brighton (England) (city)
  3. Bournemouth (city)
  4. Southampton (hotel)
  5. Portsmouth (city)
  6. Lake District National Park (park)
  7. Windermere (city)
  8. Grasmere (city)
  9. Keswick (city)

Jacqui from London

We spent a lovely weekend around Matlock and Cromford in the Peak DistrictChatsworth House is said to be the original Pembery (from Austin's Pride and Prejudice). Here is some inspiration: http://www.neverendinghoneymoon.net/peak-district/ 

Otherwise, one of our favourite UK trips was to the Scottish Countryside. Again, more inspiration here: http://www.neverendinghoneymoon.net/%EF%BB%BFgreat-scot/ 

1. Matlock (city)
  2. Cromford (city)
  3. Peak District (region)
  4. Chatsworth House (attraction)

Oleg from Moscow

Back in 2007, I had a great time in Tintagel, which is in Northern Cornwall. The whole county in general is breath-takingly beautiful, but this part in particular stood out for me because it combined the dreamy sleepy countryside with impressively scenic coast, amazing Celtic ruins in the neighborhood, as well as friendly local pubs.

1. Tintagel (city)
  2. Cornwall (city)