Emma
Berlin

Emma from Berlin asked

Best coastal towns to visit in England?

I want to plan a trip to England and I'm curious to know what the best coastal towns are? I like smaller towns, nothing too big with a friendly local community and great views! Where are the best places for this in England?

England

Felipe from Medellin

Brighton (England) is a good choice, just 1,5 hours from London is nice town and the beach is really nice, don't forget to take a bottle of wine.

I also recommend you to visit www.whispertrip.com when you decide where to go, on this web site you can get recommendations from other visitors of what to do on your destination.

Lissa
The link isn't working, but thanks!

Sam from Brighton (England)

The best coastal towns would probably have to be the ones around Cornwall and Devon: Penzance and Newquay are pretty good for views and community. However, the problem is, Brighton (England) is about 4 -5 hours from Cornwall by car. Although, you could plan a road trip along the coast - which would be great as England has some nice forests - also some other really cool looking beaches that I didn't know existed in England! (look at best beaches in England on trip advisor).

For Brighton, I would say a walk over the downs would give you great views, and walking through the lanes will give you some sense of a "culture" and community. It has a hippy-esque, more edgy vibe to Brighton than any other city (although it feels like a town) in England. A stroll through the lanes, and buying some drinks to take onto the beach is always nice for tourists and locals alike. A lot of activities like people playing basketball and volleyball and pubs that extend out onto the beach all add up to the atmosphere.

Although, I would love to go to Cornwall - all I hear is good things from my friends. I'm sure you'll have a  great time. P.s, the beach at Brighton gets busy at weekends, a lot of people from London and elsewhere come down to visit. Yet this can also be nice! Have fun!!

1. Cornwall (attraction)
  2. Devon (attraction)
  3. Penzance (city)
  4. Newquay (city)
  5. Brighton (England) (city)
Rebecca from Manchester

Brighton (England) is a great place to visit. Even though the beaches are full of pebbles, the city has a lot to offer and its home to one the most famous annual gay pride festivals. Devon is also a great place to visit, and one of the best surfing spots in the UK, and a place you can get the real Devonshire cream teas.

1. Brighton (England) (city)
  2. Devon (attraction)

Brighton (England) is a nice small city if you want lots to do, some decent restaurants and pubs and a good art scene. If you want a really pretty place with good coastal walks take a look at some of the towns in Devon or Cornwall like Mousehole 

1. Brighton (England) (city)
  2. Devon (attraction)
  3. Cornwall (attraction)
  4. Mousehole (city)