Edmonton

What's the best neighborhood in Edmonton for a first time visitor?

I've never been to Edmonton and I'm a little overwhelmed by all the hotel options. I'd like to stay in a hotel that is central and gives me good sense of what Edmonton is like. I'd love to know where locals tell their friends to stay when they visit, and why those areas and hotels are special. thanks!

Rudy

Whyte Ave NW is great in the Summer lots of foot traffic, boutique shops and bars. Downtown is another great option but is more spread out.

1. Whyte Ave NW (attraction)

Alex

The Metterra Hotel on Whyte or Varscona Hotel on Whyte are both cute little hotels along Whyte Ave, one of the major bar/restaurant/shopping/festival areas, and very close to river valley parks and trails too.

If you want to be downtown there are lots of the chain hotels (Fairmont Hotel MacdonaldDelta Hotels by Marriott Edmonton Centre Suites) all in the good areas. I've also heard of a very new little hip/boutique type hotel called The Crash Hotel thats is supposed to be quite cool and is also right in the thick of the downtown scene. 

1. Metterra Hotel on Whyte (restaurant)
  2. Varscona Hotel on Whyte (hotel)
  3. Fairmont Hotel Macdonald (hotel)
  4. Delta Hotels by Marriott Edmonton Centre Suites (hotel)
  5. Crash Hotel (hotel)

Jon

University/Whyte Ave area is fun during the day (boutiques and restaraunts) and lively at night (bars and university students). Very walkable area and pretty much the geographical center of the city.

Michelle

I would recommend one of the two boutique hotels on Whyte Ave: Mettera or Varscona.  Whyte Ave is a trendy street in Old Strathcona, a historic district in south-central Edmonton.   Lots of arts & entertainment, restaurants, cafes, bars, shopping, etc.  For more information on the area, check out their website: http://www.oldstrathcona.ca/

As for the hotels, Metterra Hotel on Whyte is more chic and modern.

Varscona Hotel on Whyte is more traditional and elegant.  

I think they're both nice - it just depends on what style you like more.  They're within a couple of blocks of each other.    

Of course, Edmonton is most well-known for West Edmonton Mall, a large shopping mall with a theme park, water park, skating rink, sea lion show, movie theatre, mini golf, bowling, restaurants...you could quite easily spend a few days here, and there is a hotel attached called Fantasyland Hotel.  If you want a unique hotel experience, try one of their theme rooms!  

Enjoy your visit! :)

1. Metterra Hotel on Whyte (restaurant)
  2. Varscona Hotel on Whyte (hotel)
  3. Fantasyland Hotel (hotel)

Janet from Bon Accord, Alberta

I suggest staying in the Old Strathcona area (also known as Whyte Ave). 

http://www.oldstrathcona.ca/ There are a number of local shops, restaurants and clubs all within an easily walkable distance.  Depending on what time of year you are visiting, there can be anything from Fringe Festivals to Ice Sculpture festivals in the area.  The Mettera Hotel (The "Met") is a great hotel that is centrally located and a favourite of visitors.  Another nice hotel is the Varscona. 

Hope this helps.

Jon from Kalispell

Stay at the HI-Edmonton Hostel.  It is central to transit, groceries, has a kitchen, connected to Edmonton happenings, filled with other interesting travelers to meet and located 2 blocks off Whyte Avenue.   Plus it is more affordable.  There isn't a ton of awsome AirBnB options last I checked but you may consider it depending on your budget.  Have fun, it is actually a fun and exciting city with lot's to do if you hunt for it. 

1. HI-Edmonton Hostel (hotel)

Reno from Murray

Many hotels close to West Edmonton Mall, on Stony Plain Road or 170th Street. Or on southwest side of city. You can take buses almost anywhere, but driving is better, and it is difficult to walk places unless you are right downtown. Whyte Avenue is a cool place to visit, eat and shop but not many hotels in that area. It's a big city.....

1. West Edmonton Mall (attraction)

S from Edmonton

Hi Katie!

Edmonton is amazing to visit in the summer time, but you have to stay central. It's a very big city with not-so-great public transit. I would recommend staying on Whyte Ave NW (if you don't mind a walk across the River Valley to get to downtown) or right around our downtown location. Matrix Hotel is a great hotel, it's what I always recommend due to the location and facilities in general. If you want to stay on Whyte Avenue, the Metterra Hotel on Whyte or Varscona Hotel on Whyte are great boutique hotels. Hope this helped!

1. Edmonton (city)
  2. Whyte Ave NW (attraction)
  3. Matrix Hotel (hotel)
  4. Metterra Hotel on Whyte (restaurant)
  5. Varscona Hotel on Whyte (hotel)