Deborah
Park Slope

Edinburgh

What other towns would you visit if you had 6 days in Edinburgh?

I plan on going to Edinburgh in November. I plan on staying there the whole time and then heading out to other areas from there. I was thinking I would visit Glasgow but I also want to go to the highlands. Any recommendations? Know of any touring outfits that I can  can join to do day trips? Any recommendations are appreciated!

Rory from Taupo

Rather than go West to Glasgow, head North either up the A9 by car, or take the scenic railway journey - it goes right over the historic The Forth Railway Bridge. Highlights would be smaller places like Pitlochry, Dunkeld (Scotland) and Blair Atholl. It feels like the Highlands but is easily reachable for a day trip.

1. The Forth Railway Bridge (attraction)
  2. Pitlochry (city)
  3. Dunkeld (Scotland) (city)
  4. Blair Atholl (city)

Grace from London

Here are a few suggestions to see different sides of Scotland:

East coast:

Linlithgowis good for history. The birthplace of Mary Queen of Scots, it has preserved the ruins of the palace and offers guided walks. There's also a heritage trail and a lovely canal. 

West coast:

Applecross Peninsula is an incredibly personable tiny village with stunning scenery and local guides offering trip ranging from watching wildlife to mountaineering.

1. Linlithgow (city)
  2. Applecross Peninsula (attraction)

Beena from Navi Mumbai

If you are a Da Vinci fan, you could visit the Rosslyn Chapel , which is an hour's ride from the city.

If you wish to do the highlands, would recommend the 3 day Skye Highland Experience tour (http://www.highlandexperience.com/tour-details.asp?txtTour=180) - the tour guides are amazing, and you will have your fill of the Highland scenery ! One day is not enough to take in the scenary - hence would not recommend a day trip as such.

1. Rosslyn Chapel (attraction)