Kyle

Edinburgh

What do to with 6 hours solo in Edinburgh?

I'll be flying to Edingburgh on Thursday (5/21) for a bachelor party and will be the first of my group to arrive when I land a 8am on Friday morning. I'll have about 6 hours to kill before I can check in to our rental and we are going to be staying at the Scotia Grand Residence about a 5-10 minute walk from the Royal Mile. In that 6 hours, what are some things I can do to bide the time? Keep in mind, I have no problem day drinking.

Heather from Edinburgh

I presume you will be able to leave luggage at your rental? If not, you can pay to leave it at Waverley Station Car Park. Then go climb Calton Hill for a view of our beautiful city (if the weather is good) 

If the weather is not so good the Museum on Chambers street is free as are the galleries just off princes street. You will have no problem finding good bars and restaurants- Edinburgh is full of them but I recommend The Café Royal for a great traditional pub. It's tucked away in West Register street. Have fun!

1. Waverley Station Car Park (attraction)
  2. Calton Hill (attraction)
  3. The Café Royal (restaurant)

Definitely visit Edinburgh Castle to start.  Then follow the Royal Mile all the way down to Palace of Holyroodhouse, which you can tour as well.  Stop at the various whisky tasting rooms, or even do the The Scotch Whisky Experience (take the fun little ride!)-the tasting afterwards was very educational and good!  Have lunch at my favorite place, Whiski Bar & Restaurant.

1. Edinburgh Castle (attraction)
  2. Palace of Holyroodhouse (attraction)
  3. The Scotch Whisky Experience (attraction)
  4. Whiski Bar & Restaurant (restaurant)

Justin from Edinburgh

Well depending on how much luggage you have and how tired you could go to the Edinburgh Castle up the Royal Mile Tavern. Also theres a ton of old pubs up and down the royal mile so if you don't mind day drinking I would pub crawl. Theres plenty to do and see like the massive cathedral , St.Giles Cathedral. Its pretty amazing to see. Lets see for a quick meal may I suggest the baked potato shop at the corner of Cockburn St and the Royal Mile. Funny enough its called The Baked Potato Shop. Get a medium sized one with cheese and haggis Oh man its amazing and perfect with beer. Theres also Princes St if you want to shop although I prefer the streets near the royal mile more artistic stuff and some antique shops around. Hope you enjoy Edinburgh mate and the stag party!

1. Edinburgh Castle (attraction)
  2. Royal Mile Tavern (restaurant)
  3. St.Giles Cathedral (attraction)
  4. Cockburn St (attraction)
  5. The Baked Potato Shop (restaurant)
  6. Princes St (attraction)
  7. Edinburgh (city)

Brett from Eindhoven

There's always the BrewDog Edinburgh pub at cowgate, and grab a bite to eat at Oink. Plenty of other pubs to choose from, especially for more lighter ales that can lead to a better day drink session...be sure to look for whatever they're pumping from the cask!

1. BrewDog Edinburgh (restaurant)
  2. Oink (restaurant)