Dabs

Edinburgh

Visiting Edinburgh -- lots of questions

I'm going to be in Edinburgh next week, during the Fringe Festival, by myself for a few days before catching up with my husband in England and am looking for some dining suggestions.  Not looking for multi course trendy dining, tend to eat a lot of Turkish, Italian/pizza, Spanish, Indian and fish and chips when traveling in other parts of the UK.

Fringe Festival-I think I'm going to book La Clique (love their counterpart La Soiree) and someone recommended another cabaret act called Fascinating Aida, anything else I should be sure to check out?  Already have a ticket  for the military tattoo.

Considering a West Highlands & Loch tour with either Rabbies or Timberbush, they appear to be almost identical in content, Rabbies has slightly better reviews, is more expensive and less people by about 1/2.  Any thoughts?

Need a gift for my cat sitter, she says she is Scottish but her mother's maiden name is Mulligan (Irish?) so my idea of getting her a family tartan isn't going to work, she also likes scotch, is there anything I can get in Edinburgh that I can't get back home?

Annika from Ottawa

Hi Kristi! 

Just a note on the restaurants, be aware that many restaurants will not take reservations during the Fringe so it's really just luck if you get a place in your chosen restaurant. My advise, don't start your restaurant hunting with an empty stomach! 

I would recommend 'The Hairy Coo' Tour Co. for tours instead of the one you mentioned above. They are smaller scale, absolutely knowledgeable and professional with a fun twist. I've done the free day trip with them and it was really good! 

Enjoy your trip :) 

1. 'The Hairy Coo' Tour Co. (attraction)

We ate several nights at a fun little pub/whisky restaurant called Whiski Bar & Restaurant-they had a great burger, awesome fries and was warm, welcoming, and the staff was a lot of fun.  It is right on the Royal Mile.

Scotch is a great gift idea.  I bought my husband 3 varieties of scotch, each aged in a different used cask (i.e., one used for port, one used for sancerre).  I ensured that all were not available outside Scotland.  The Royal Mile Whiskies has a great selection, friendly and knowledgeable staff and an easy location.

1. Whiski Bar & Restaurant (restaurant)
  2. Royal Mile Whiskies (attraction)