Camille

Edinburgh

Edinburgh - Affordable hotels in the city center?

I'm getting a little overwhelmed planning my upcoming trip to Edinburgh, and all the hotels I keep coming across are way out of my budget. Are there any affordable but still nice hotels in the city center? I would love to be able to walk most places.

Kristin from Edinburgh

Hi Camille, when are you coming to Edinburgh? All hotels and accommodation become much more expensive during August due to the international Fringe Festival so if you are looking for August a lot of things will be super expensive, and from recent news the city is almost 60% booked already (but I'm sure that quote changes depending on who is reporting it). A hotel you might want to try is Masson House - it's a hotel but is located in pollock halls of residence, the university's student halls of residence site. So prices can be less than other hotels and the rooms that I've seen are still quite nice...there's a private hotel dining so you don't need to mix with students, and in August it houses a lot of the Royal Military Tattoo bands so there is a lot of atmosphere as you hear them practice bagpipes and drums outside. 

If i know when you are coming I might be able to give you a bit more specifics. 

1. Masson House (hotel)

Valerie from Seattle

Camille, are you visiting in the next two months? If so, Rory is right--it will be much more expensive and overwhelming to find something in your budget!

When I visited Edinburgh, I stayed along the Royal Mile Apartments (I don't mean the specific apartments, but the Royal Mile is one street in the heart of old Edinburgh and ends at Edinburgh Castle). I used Airbnb to find the apartment, and sharing with friends made the cost a lot more reasonable.

Another area to stay is on the other side of the train tracks. Try using the restaurant the dogs as a nearby landmark for your search (and regardless of where you stay, be sure to have a meal at the dogs, since it's going to be great!). There's a lot more shopping and modern stuff on that side of town, but also lots of pedestrian access.

It's probably expensive, but trying to stay near The Grassmarket Hotel is another good area if you want to be near to things.

Edinburgh is not a very big city from end to end. If you use something like Airbnb and are willing to walk a bit, I can imagine you can get the cost down toward your budget.

Good luck!

1. Royal Mile Apartments (attraction)
  2. Edinburgh Castle (attraction)
  3. the dogs (restaurant)
  4. The Grassmarket Hotel (attraction)

Damian from Rosario

Hi!
I've stayed at St Christophers Edinburgh Hostel, is very good, clean, inexpensive, great location, I pass the website to analyze it.

http://www.st-christophers.co.uk/

Anything, ask me.
Good luck!
Damian

1. St Christophers Edinburgh Hostel (hotel)

Deborah from Park Slope

I also used Airbnb and stayed in an amazing apartment for less than the cost of a hotel. I stayed in the grassmarket area and had a wonderful time. I was able to walk everywhere and had a few of the castle from my bedroom and living room area.

Rory from Taupo

Try the Travelodge chain, there are a number around the city center. This time of year is peak season, so things will be expensive. August / September always expensive because of the Festival and Fringe.