Kelley
Richmond, Virginia

Kelley from Richmond, Virginia asked

Is the taxi from Quito airport to Banos safe?

I'll be arriving at Quito airport at 5:30pm. Is it safe to take a taxi to Banos at that time? 

Ecuador

Annemarie from Leeuwarden

Hi Kelley, If you wait for an hour or something I think you can allready grab a bus to Baños. Taxi in Quito are safe btw. Traveling at daytime is also safe in Ecuador (not at night time). But at the time you arrive the sun is already up, so I think you will be fine. Do you have to be in Baños immediately? Because otherwise I would go to The Secret Garden Cotopaxi first. That's the most awesome place in Ecuador and it's in between Quito and Baños. If you like outdoor stuff I would really recommend that! 

Kelley
Thanks! I'll actually be climbing Cotopaxi later in my trip! I just wanted to make sure I got to what I wanted to in Banos before wearing myself out elsewhere.

1. Baños (city)
  2. Quito (city)
  3. The Secret Garden Cotopaxi (hotel)
David from New Paltz

The taxis are at the airport are typically registered with the the government (i.e. they are safe). The registered ones all have green stickers on the fender or window. You should establish a price beforehand, and perhaps know in advance what is a reasonable price. I took a taxi from the airport into the city, which is a fixed rate ($26 for one person), but for places like Banos, it is not fixed. 

Kelley
Great tip! I'm sure it will be expensive, but it's probably best to officially start my trip at a lower altitude.