Samantha asked

10-day Trip to Ecuador

Hello! We are a couple who are going to wedding in Ecuador. We want to see as much as possible in the days we have:

We are flying into Guayaquil on August 2nd and out of Quito on August 11th. The wedding is in Guayaquil on August 5th at night. Can someone please give me comments on this itinerary and if it looks feasible? We rented a car for the whole way, is this a good idea?

Aug 1: Arrival at night, night in Guayaquil 
Aug 2: Pick up car, leave to Baños.
Aug 3: Day and night in Baños. (Recommendations?)
Aug 4: Day and night in Baños. (Recommendations?)
Aug 5: Return to Guayaquil for wedding. Night in Guayaquil.
Aug 6: Day and night in Guayaquil.

Aug 7-11: We want to drive to Quito, making stops and and sleeping in places along the way including Tena. 

We want to reach Quito by August 10th to spend the night there.

1) Is it better to go to Baños this first 3 days, rather than the coast like Montañita or Puerto Lopez?

2) Recommendations please for stops from Guayaquil to Quito by car?

We like adventure, culture and relative comfort. 

Thank you for your help, I need it!

Ecuador

Vibeke from Quito

In Baños you can visit La Casa del Arbol - takes just a few hours and do ruta de cascadas on a china and visit the big one called Pailon Del Diablo.  You can do the best thing in Baños on 2 days. If you like partying then Montanita is the place to go. However the most beautiful beach on mainland Ecuador is Playa Los Frailes  in Puerto Lopez - from Puerto Lopez you can also go to Poor mans Galapagos Plata Island. It all depends on what you want to do. If you like more jungle like nature then Baños is perfect - beach Puerto Lopez. Hope it helps :) 

http://thevikingabroad.com/top-10-places-to-visit-in-ecuador/

1. Baños (city)
  2. La Casa del Arbol (attraction)
  3. Pailon Del Diablo (attraction)
  4. Montanita (city)
  5. Playa Los Frailes (attraction)
  6. Puerto Lopez (city)
  7. Plata Island (attraction)
Rasto from Edmonton

First of all, renting a car is smart decision in Ecuador since local buses are ridiculously slow doesn't matter how good the road is. When I was there two years ago, it took on average 3-4h to move 100km or about 30km/h speed! But even with rented car you have to account for many times quite mountainous landscape so it takes time to move from place to place. But you will see...

I think you are focusing too much on Guayaquil. I know wedding is there, but if you like adventure and culture that's not the place to be. I spent in Ecuador about a month and Guayaquil was the most boring place in Ecuador for me since I like action and adventure as well. I would rather head 150-200km south-east for 2-3 days and see places like Cuenca (Ecuador), Ingapirca or hike in El Cajas National Park.

Puerto Lopez not that much to do there unless you like scuba diving. Try boat trip to Isla de la Plata, as well called the Little Galapagos, where you can see blue-footed boobies.

When driving from Guayaquil to Quito, try to make it to Laguna Quilotoa. Very scenic volcanic crater lake and you can hike it all around.

Feel free to check my Gallery from Ecuador if you want.

Save travels and have an amazing trip!

1. Cuenca (Ecuador) (city)
  2. Ingapirca (city)
  3. El Cajas National Park (attraction)
  4. Puerto Lopez (city)
  5. Laguna Quilotoa (attraction)