Marla asked

Best Places To Go

Hi. I will be in Prague from Aug. 29th -Sept. 1st of this year. I have been reading forums to give me an idea where to go after Prague as I have Sept. 1-10th free, then head to Belgium on the 10th to meet up with a girl friend. I will be travelling alone from the 1st to the 10th, and I really want to take time in seeing what I can see in those days without rushing. A friend of mine who has been to Eastern Europe suggested I go to Austria, then Germany then enter Belgium from there. I like to take trains or anything cheap, as long as it is not very inconvenient. Can anyone suggest other itineraries I can add as an option? Like how many days should I allot for each city and such. Thank you. :)

Eastern Europe   Central Europe

Steve

A place to check out near Praguewould definitely be Kutna Hora. It is about a 30-40 minute train ride. There is a bone Church, cathedral that was as amazing as Norte Dame, plague statue, Medieval well, silver mine and a few other places. Excellent place to Day trip. Also Terezin is accessible by bus. There was a concentration camp here during WW 2 as well as older forts. I believe Napoleonic era and before? It was interesting. Dresden is nearby and has quite a bit to see. There are many museums, Bundeswehrkrankenhaus (Berlin) museum, fortress museum a few art museums and also the Deutsches hygiene museum. Budapest is also a amazing town, the castle is great, there is a Hospitol museum under it. Then there is a big food market that was great. Szentendre is nearby by bus. It was a older town that has some interesting streets, shops and traditional Hungarian restaraunts.

Marla
Thank you, Steve. This is awesome. I'll write down everything you said. 😊

1. Prague (city)
  2. Kutna Hora (city)
  3. Terezin (city)
  4. Dresden (attraction)
  5. Bundeswehrkrankenhaus (Berlin) (attraction)
  6. Budapest (city)
  7. Szentendre (city)
Claudia from New York City

Hi Marla,

I did a 16-day tour starting from Prague and ending in Lucerne this spring. I visited 6 major cities and countless landmarks, but the trip was a little rushed. The trains between European cities were affordable. For convenience and comfort, I arranged a few private car transfers between cities.

Your friend’s suggestion sounds great. But if you are looking to visit other country instead of just Austria and Germany, I would suggest adding one more city, either Bratislava (Slovakia) or Budapest (Hungary).

There are many trains running daily between Prague and Bratislava and Prague and Budapest. Taking into consideration the 2 things you pointed out – no rush and convenience – I would choose Bratislava, and your itinerary may look something like this:

August 29-Sept 1 – Prague

Sept 1-3

Prague by train to Bratislava, Slovakia. Stay 2 nights in Bratislava. There are many bus and train connections between Prague and Bratislava. The train ride takes about 4 ½ hours.

Sept 3-6

Bratislava to Vienna. Stay 2 nights in Vienna. You have plenty of transportation options between Bratislava and Vienna. Besides train and bus, there are fast catamarans (75-minute ride) that runs between Bratislava and Vienna on the Danube. Here is a link https://www.wien.info/en/travel-info/to-and-around/twin-city-liner

Sept 6-8

Vienna to Munich. Stay 2 nights in Munich.

Sept 8-10

Munich to Frankfurt. Stay 2 nights in Frankfurt

Sept 10

Frankfurt to Brussels

Trains are readily available between these cities. You may want to consider the inter-city buses as well.

Marla
Hi Claudia! You are awesome. Thank you so much for this. I will print this out and finalize my itinerary. I truly appreciate it. 😊 again, thank you so much. ❤ You're a sweetheart for doing this. *hugs*

1. Prague (city)
  2. Bratislava (city)
  3. Vienna (city)
  4. Munich (city)
  5. Frankfurt (city)
  6. Brussels (city)