Marla

Eastern Europe, Central Europe

Best Places To Go

Hi. I will be in Prague from Aug. 29th -Sept. 1st of this year. I have been reading forums to give me an idea where to go after Prague as I have Sept. 1-10th free, then head to Belgium on the 10th to meet up with a girl friend. I will be travelling alone from the 1st to the 10th, and I really want to take time in seeing what I can see in those days without rushing. A friend of mine who has been to Eastern Europe suggested I go to Austria, then Germany then enter Belgium from there. I like to take trains or anything cheap, as long as it is not very inconvenient. Can anyone suggest other itineraries I can add as an option? Like how many days should I allot for each city and such. Thank you. :)

Steve

A place to check out near Praguewould definitely be Kutna Hora. It is about a 30-40 minute train ride. There is a bone Church, cathedral that was as amazing as Norte Dame, plague statue, Medieval well, silver mine and a few other places. Excellent place to Day trip. Also Terezin is accessible by bus. There was a concentration camp here during WW 2 as well as older forts. I believe Napoleonic era and before? It was interesting. Dresden is nearby and has quite a bit to see. There are many museums, Bundeswehrkrankenhaus (Berlin) museum, fortress museum a few art museums and also the Deutsches hygiene museum. Budapest is also a amazing town, the castle is great, there is a Hospitol museum under it. Then there is a big food market that was great. Szentendre is nearby by bus. It was a older town that has some interesting streets, shops and traditional Hungarian restaraunts.

1. Prague (city)
  2. Kutna Hora (city)
  3. Terezin (city)
  4. Dresden (attraction)
  5. Bundeswehrkrankenhaus (Berlin) (attraction)
  6. Budapest (city)
  7. Szentendre (city)

Claudia from New York City

Hi Marla,

I did a 16-day tour starting from Prague and ending in Lucerne this spring. I visited 6 major cities and countless landmarks, but the trip was a little rushed. The trains between European cities were affordable. For convenience and comfort, I arranged a few private car transfers between cities.

Your friend’s suggestion sounds great. But if you are looking to visit other country instead of just Austria and Germany, I would suggest adding one more city, either Bratislava (Slovakia) or Budapest (Hungary).

There are many trains running daily between Prague and Bratislava and Prague and Budapest. Taking into consideration the 2 things you pointed out – no rush and convenience – I would choose Bratislava, and your itinerary may look something like this:

August 29-Sept 1 – Prague

Sept 1-3

Prague by train to Bratislava, Slovakia. Stay 2 nights in Bratislava. There are many bus and train connections between Prague and Bratislava. The train ride takes about 4 ½ hours.

Sept 3-6

Bratislava to Vienna. Stay 2 nights in Vienna. You have plenty of transportation options between Bratislava and Vienna. Besides train and bus, there are fast catamarans (75-minute ride) that runs between Bratislava and Vienna on the Danube. Here is a link https://www.wien.info/en/travel-info/to-and-around/twin-city-liner

Sept 6-8

Vienna to Munich. Stay 2 nights in Munich.

Sept 8-10

Munich to Frankfurt. Stay 2 nights in Frankfurt

Sept 10

Frankfurt to Brussels

Trains are readily available between these cities. You may want to consider the inter-city buses as well.

1. Prague (city)
  2. Bratislava (city)
  3. Vienna (city)
  4. Munich (city)
  5. Frankfurt (city)
  6. Brussels (city)