Bianca
Miami

Bianca from Miami asked

How to get to Easter Island and what to see

Taking a girls' trip to South America next year and we suddenly thought to ourselves, “We should see Easter Island while we;re there!!!” except, we have no idea how to get there.  We're going to Brazil, Peru, Chile, and Argentina so far.  I'm assuming it's best to go to Easter Island when we get to Chile.  Where's the best city in Chile to go to Easter Island from?  Would we take a boat of sorts?  Or is there a plane?  We would like ideas on what to see too.  Is there a charge to see the statues? I just don’t know much about it except that I want to see it!!

Easter Island (Chile)   Chile

K.

Just to clarify, you can go from either Santiago -or- Lima (Peru) to Easter Island. (But yes, only on LAN and it won't be cheap.)

Actually, this is one of the world's most isolated islands so bear in mind that *nothing* about this venture will be cheap..

That said, it's fantastic! Stay a few days and definitely rent a car (this island is teeny tiny and easily navigable).

Bianca
Yes, I keep hearing that it wouldn't be cheap! Oy. Thank you Kara! I have a lot to think about!

1. Santiago (city)
  2. Lima (Peru) (city)
  3. Easter Island (island)
Kari

Flights depart from Santiago only with LAN Airlines.

On the island has to buy tickets for the Rapa Nui National Park to visit the Moai Quarry and Orongo, price USD 55.

The most beautiful places are Orongo, Rano Kau Volcano, Vaihu, Tahai, Ahu Tongariki, Vaihu, Vinapu, Anakena, Ovahe Beach, Ma'unga Terevaka ...

The best activities trekking, scuba, snorkeling, tradicional show, riding, boating, coast fishing, polynesian dance taller...

If you need more information you can contact me.

Bianca
Wow, thank you so much Kari! We are still deciding and this is very helpful!

1. Rapa Nui National Park (park)
  2. Moai Quarry (attraction)
  3. Orongo (attraction)
  4. Rano Kau Volcano (attraction)
  5. Vaihu (attraction)
  6. Tahai (attraction)
  7. Ahu Tongariki (attraction)
  8. Vaihu (attraction)
  9. Vinapu (attraction)
  10. Anakena (attraction)
  11. Ovahe Beach (attraction)
  12. Ma'unga Terevaka (attraction)

Plane is the only optiona dn there are only planes from Chile to Easter Island.

From what i know then LAN Chile from Santiago is the only airline servicing the route and it's not cheap tickets.

Just so that you are warned.

Easter Island is very far off the coast and it would take several days to go there by boat, so you have no regular ferry service to the island.

Bianca
This is very good to know Claus. I did not know that it was so far away. I'll look up plane ticket prices and decide. Thank you!

1. Santiago (city)
Stefan from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

There's also limited flights to/from Easter Island from Pape'ete if you're feeling super adventurous. :) 

Bianca
I'm always adventurous! Thank you, Stefan! :)

1. Pape'ete (city)
Jen from Toronto

I just booked a LAN flight from Santiago to Hanga Roa a couple of weeks ago.   It will cost you about $600 return for the 5-hour trip.  As has been mentioned, it's one of the most isolated places on earth, which can make it a very expensive destination.

If you need to cut costs, and don't mind dormitory accommodation, you can stay at the Kona Tau Hostelling International in Hanga Roa for about $30 each per night. 

Bianca
Thank you so much Jen! Good to know that there will at least be cheap accommodations possible around there!