Katie from Los Angeles asked

Best free things to do in Durham (North Carolina)?

I'm going to be in Durham (North Carolina) next month and will be on a pretty tight budget. I'm looking for the best free and inexpensive things to check out! I love the outdoors, art, museums, you name it. Thanks!

Durham (North Carolina)

Heather from Durham (North Carolina)

Sarah P. Duke Gardens - it may be a bit off season but still beautiful. Free except for they charge a nominal fee for parking. Nearby is the Nasher Museum of Art, associated with Duke University. Not free but last I checked $8 admission fee. Also, you can head south on I-40 to Raleigh to go to the North Carolina Museum of Art. Free and great exhibits.

We take guests to the Tobacco Campus to do a walk through. The buildings have been restored from the Lucky Strike tobacco factory to shops, restaurants and events. 

How long will you be here? If you like to hike, the mountains start about 2 hours away. Not as majestic as west coast mountains but beautiful still. I would recommend Hanging or Pilot Mountain for quick trips.