Valerie

Valerie from Los Angeles asked

Best free things to do in Durango?

I'm going to be in Durango next month and will be on a pretty tight budget. I'm looking for the best free and inexpensive things to check out! I love the outdoors, art, museums, you name it. Thanks!

Durango

Jim from Durango

Take a Hike! You can walk the Animas River Trail which is a paved trail that runs the length of town along the river. There are lots of things to see along the way, from the Durango Fish Hatchery & Wildlife Museum  to the Durango and Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad Train Museum, both free.

For art, the Conrad Art Gallery at the Durango Arts Center always has exhibits, and a walk along Main Ave will take you past at least a dozen art galleries (don't miss '&').

Or grab a burrito at Nini's Taqueria and sit on one of the benches downtown and people watch. 

Most importantly, get out of town and into the mountains. You can take the Durango and Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad train and get off at various stops for a hike, or take it all the way to Silverton and back.

Hope this helps.