Helen

Dubrovnik

Should I take a side trip to Montenegro while in Dubrovnik?

I am on a group trip to Croatia in September. We have two days in Dubrovnik.The first day we will tour the city as a group. On the second day, we have 2 options: tour Dubrovnik on our own or take a side trip to Montenegro (the Bay of Kotor, Town of Perast, our lady of rock, etc.) What should I do?

Anna from Cleveland

It is too bad you only have two days for the area. While Dubrovnik is magnificent, but you'd regret not seeing Montenegro! Go for it!

1. Dubrovnik (city)
  2. Montenegro (country)

Katica from Dubrovnik

I am from Dubrovnik. I am a tour guide and I used to guide groups for almost 10 years. 

I reccomend visiting Montenegro, Kotor is a lovely medieval town, the island of Our lady of the rocks is gorgeous and the scenery is beautiful. 

It's worth going. Have a great trip!

Lyn from Manhattan Beach

Unfortunate that you only have two days in Dubrovnik.  There is so much to do and see there.  But I would definitely take the trip to Montenegro - it is gorgeous!  And you can add one more country to your list!

1. Dubrovnik (city)
  2. Montenegro (country)

Missy from Newport

Hi, I agree that you should take the side trip to Bay of Kotor.  I also offer vacation travel in Croatia and Montenegro and always recommend seeing Kotor, and Perast as well as Dubrovnik.  You can see Dubrovnik in the one day, and the Bay of Kotor is a very special area, and highly recommended.

1. Bay of Kotor (attraction)
  2. Perast (attraction)
  3. Dubrovnik (city)

Toni from Croatia

Visiting Montenegro is worthwhile, especially the beautiful Budva.

1. Montenegro (country)
  2. Budva (attraction)

Tamara from Split

Considering the amount of visitors in Dubrovnik, I doubt you will successfully see everything you'd like to, so it'd be a good idea to have 2 days for sightseeing. But it all depends on your first day in Dubrovnik, how much you like it and how much you manage to see in one day. If you're happy with your first day, go to Montenegro the second day.

1. Dubrovnik (city)

Jörgen from Vaggeryd

100% yes! Imagine a county where ANY fairytale can be filmed for Hollywood. That's Montenegro! Mountains, water, rivers, castles, ruins, monasteries. Everything in a wild mix with modern cruise ships and Ferraris. Go for it!!

Rachel from Palo Alto

Without a doubt, you should see Montenegro. You will not regret it.

1. Montenegro (country)

We really liked Dubrovnik but it's quite small and fairly easy to see in a day. 

1. Dubrovnik (city)

m from New York City

If you only have 2 days in Dubrovnik, skip Montenegro.  You won't regret it.  Montenegro is anti-climactic, and run-down.  Enjoy Dubrovnik to the max.

1. Dubrovnik (city)
  2. Montenegro (country)