Lynne asked

best driving route

We are family of four traveling to ireland for the first time. we are traveling with our 20 year adult children. we would like to know the recommend driving route from dublin to galway including a stop to see the cliffs of moher.

Dublin (Ireland)   Galway (Ireland)

John

Agree with both answers, but I will stress that the Cliffs of Moher is not on the way from Dublin to Galway.  Go to Galway and settle in.  Then take a day trip to the cliffs.  The road from Dublin to Galway is like an American highway.  The roads from Galway to the Cliffs are not like American roads, They are narrow, windy, and not well maintained in some places.  They can be challenging and so I would prefer to tackle them while I am fresh.  I prefert to do a circle by taking the N67 to the Cliffs and then taking R478 to R460 to M18 on the way back.

1. Cliffs of Moher (attraction)
  2. Dublin (city)
  3. Galway (city)
  4. R478 (attraction)
  5. R460 (attraction)
  6. M18 (attraction)

Hi Lynne,

You have a couple of options. If you want to go to Galway first take the M50 from Dublin, join with the M4 and then the M6. The route is well signposted and is motorway the whole way to Galway city. The journey takes a little over 2 hours. If you have time it might be worth an extra day or two to see Connemara maybe drive the Sky Road from Clifden or visit Renvyle and Letterfrack

The route from Galway to the Cliffs of Moher takes you through Kilcolgan and Kinvara and, if you wish you could detour through The Burren in Co. Clare. The views are really beautiful through the Burren "mountains" (really hills) The journey to the Cliffs of Moher takes about 1.5 hours but you'll probably want to stop along the way - there are lots of nice little seafood bars to while away an hour or two for lunch - ask in Kinvara  or go to Moran's Oyster Cottage in Kilcolgan.

The other option is to go through Limerick from Dublin and visit Cliffs of Moher first, then drive through Ennis to Galway via the M18. Personally I really like the first route.

Have a great trip.

Lynne
Maria, Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question in such detail! We will go with you first suggestion. How did you know this Boston Family are seafood Foodies”! Thank you for insider dining tips.😊 We are so very excited for tthis trip. B

Maria
My brother and his family live in Boston - its a great place too! I also love Linnane's seafood bar in New Quay - a short distance from Kinvarra, worth the drive for the fresh lobster and crab cakes!! Enjoy your trip, I hope you get good weather.

1. Connemara (city)
  2. Sky Road (attraction)
  3. Renvyle (attraction)
  4. Letterfrack (city)
  5. Kilcolgan (attraction)
  6. Kinvara (city)
  7. Cliffs of Moher (attraction)
  8. Kinvara (city)
  9. Moran's Oyster Cottage (restaurant)
  10. Limerick (city)
  11. Cliffs of Moher (attraction)
  12. Galway (city)
Philip

When you arrive at Dublin Airport (DUB) take the M1 south and next junction on extreme left take M50, you will come to a toll bridge crossing the river liffey,  you will not be stopped but need to pay the toll before 8 pm the next evening. You can do this by going on line https://www.eflow.ie/

After you go through the toll bridge (keeping in the extreme left lane) you take the next exit (Junction 7) on to the M4 and eventually you will see a sign for M6 (Junction 1). to Galway. (prior to this you will go through another Toll which you will have to pay cash to get through). Would suggest the Cliffs of Moher another day after you get to your hotel in Galway.

1. Dublin Airport (DUB) (attraction)
  2. Galway (city)
  3. Cliffs of Moher (attraction)