Dublin

What's the best neighborhood in Dublin for a first time visitor?

I've never been to Dublin and I'm a little overwhelmed by all the hotel options. I'd like to stay in a hotel that is central and gives me good sense of what Dublin is like. I'd love to know where locals tell their friends to stay when they visit, and why those areas and hotels are special. thanks!

Hi Katie,

Rowan has some good tips. Take a look at Airbnb too - there are lots of rooms and apartments in central Dublin. Public transport is good and Dublin has a great bike rental scheme (and is very walkable) so it's really easy to get around. If you like the sea you could stay somewhere like Blackrock Clontarf or Dalkey and still be only minutes by DART from the centre.

1. Blackrock (attraction)
  2. Clontarf (attraction)
  3. Dalkey (attraction)

Rowan from Dublin

Hey Katie,

I am a local Dublin man and a keen traveller like yourself. It depends what your budget is. I would recommend the Jurys Inn Parnell Street Dublinit is very central, reasonably priced and has what you need. As long as you are near the heart of the city you are good to go.

We have good public transport that can take you to the surrounding suburbs, I would recommend Howth Harbour on the Northside and maybe Powerscourt Gardens just South in Wicklow St. If you have time go to  Glendalough  if you can, its amazing at the top!

Temple Bar is our main "tourist trap", it will have all the traditional Irish stuff you would expect, but it is designed for tourists. Going to some of the pubs along Baggot Street Lower like O'Donoghue's PubTonersand especially on a Rugby match day are great. Or try the smallest pub in Ireland - The Dawson Lounge. This is also really near Trinity College located in the centre, which has some great things to see too like the Book of Kells and its Harry Potter style library!

Other than that, drink your ass off, embrace our lovely people and create some memories!

1. Jurys Inn Parnell Street Dublin (hotel)
  2. Howth Harbour (attraction)
  3. Powerscourt Gardens (attraction)
  4. Wicklow St (attraction)
  5. Glendalough (city)
  6. Temple Bar (attraction)
  7. Baggot Street Lower (attraction)
  8. O'Donoghue's Pub (hotel)
  9. Toners (restaurant)
  10. The Dawson Lounge (attraction)
  11. Trinity College (attraction)

Ron from Vancouver

You might also want to look at the Harding Hotel. It's in an old brick building, very much in the thick of things (directly across the street from Christchurch), and at the same price as the Jurys Inn Christchurch Dublin which is characterless and tends fill up with noisy tourist groups. If these are too expensive, I also just checked Albany House which is near St Stephen's Green, a very nice area. If you pay 3 weeks in advance you get 15% off. So the most affordable room I found here was a twin room for 2 adults at €84.15 per night, including a continental breakfast. It doesn't have an elevator, but for being in the middle of Dublin, this is a good price.

1. Harding Hotel (restaurant)
  2. Jurys Inn Christchurch Dublin (hotel)
  3. Albany House (hotel)