Declan
Dublin

Dublin

What do people think of Dublin?

Just wanted to ask what people who have visited Dublin think of the city?  How do you think it compares to other cities?  

Kimberly

Dublin is fantastic in a charming, old-world, historic kind of way. It is home to St Patrick's Cathedral, Guinness Storehouse, and the Book Of Kells at Trinity College, to name a few. The locals seem to know when the rain will fall and duck into nearby shops at just the right moment, while you are still scratching your now rain-soaked head. Just so you know: yes, it will rain; not torrentially but moderately for five to ten minutes then stop. How do you think the Emerald Isle stays so appropriately green? Speaking of green, there are many 'greens,' or parks, throughout the city, but my favorite is St. Stephens for no reason in particular. I also enjoyed Temple Bar district, and even Miller Light tastes better there; though, why I would have even tried that beer there is a mystery to me. Fun things happen when you drink in Dublin! The people are so welcoming, easy to talk to, and festive. There really isn't any US city comparable, but south central and coastal Oregon come close due to the green pastures of sheep and rocky cliffs. The city's skyline is not tall, like most major stateside cities, and the Guinness Brewery's top floor offers the highest view in the city.

1. St Patrick's Cathedral (attraction)
  2. Guinness Storehouse (attraction)
  3. Book Of Kells (attraction)
  4. Trinity College (attraction)
  5. Temple Bar (neighborhood)

I enjoyed Dublin, mostly just because I liked some of the tourtist things to do (Jameson Distillery).  I didn't feel it has a lot of character or heart though.  I certainly enjoyed other Irish cities like Kinsale, Killarney and Waterford.  They had more heart and soul, if that makes sense?

1. Dublin (city)
  2. Kinsale (city)
  3. Killarney (city)
  4. Waterford (city)

Padraig from Bunnanaddan, Sligo, Ireland

I think its a great cultural hub, however in the city centre O'Connell Street Lower is one surrounded by very poor areas so its not the nicest part of the city.

1. O'Connell Street Lower (attraction)