Adriana
Miami

Dublin

Two days in Ireland

My friend and I are going to do a trip to multiple countries in Europe next May and we are interested in going to Ireland. Realistically we only have two days to spend there so we were thinking of going to Dublin. What should we go see in Dublin during the day and where should we got at night? Also we want to take a day trip to the cliffs of Moher. Is it worth it? Any tips/ ideas are greatly appreciated. Also are there any castles that are not too overpriced that we should stay in? 

Anthony from New York City

Drink. Drink Guiness. Drink it at John Kavanagh (Grave Diggers) pub.  Eat at The Chop House.  

1. John Kavanagh (Grave Diggers) (restaurant)
  2. The Chop House (restaurant)

Valerie from Seattle

Adriana, the answer to all your questions: YES! Is that not specific enough? :)

1. Dublin: Be sure to do either/both the Saint James's Gate Brewery tour (this is the Guinness factory!) or tour the The Old Jameson Distillery, depending on your preferences :) At night, wander around Temple Bar, which is a whole neighborhood of bars and restaurants and places to explore as the night wears on.

2. Absolutely do the Cliffs of Moher if yo ucan--it's on my top 5 most beautiful places in the world list, which I haven't even finished writing yet, but I'm sure will be on there. Cars are pretty darn cheap to rent, so you could probably rent your own and do it on your own time.

3. For castles, I gave my best advice here: http://www.trippy.com/question/Dublin-Castles-near-Dublin for another user with the same question. There will also be other answers there, so hopefully that will help.

Have a GREAT trip!!

1. Saint James's Gate Brewery (attraction)
  2. The Old Jameson Distillery (attraction)
  3. Temple Bar (neighborhood)
  4. Cliffs of Moher (attraction)

John from Kansas City (Missouri)

I would agree that the Temple Bar area is overpriced and more tourist focused. We really enjoyed The Brazen Head for later afternoon and eventing. Guinness Storehouse is well worth the price of admission. We took a cart ride from there to the The Old Jameson Distillery to round out the day.

The trip to Cliffs of Moher will take half a day's drive, each way, but if you do decide to go that route, check out Rock of Cashel along the way. We stayed at Ballyseede Castle Hotel. It was lovely, and I would highly recommend it.

1. The Brazen Head (attraction)
  2. Guinness Storehouse (attraction)
  3. The Old Jameson Distillery (attraction)
  4. Cliffs of Moher (attraction)
  5. Rock of Cashel (attraction)
  6. Ballyseede Castle Hotel (restaurant)

Laura - from Dublin

To get a good overview of the city of Dublin I'd recommend taking a HOHO bus tour. If you're interested in history then Kilmainham Gaol and Glasnevin Cemetery are definite spots to visit. 

Personally I'd avoid drinking in Temple Bar as it's very overpriced but it's nice to check out and see what all the buzz is about. I prefer George's Street/Aungier St/Camden Street Lower for pubs. Around William St S is good for restaurants. 

I think the Cliffs are too far for a day trip, +3hours each way in a bus and if there weather doesn't cooperate you wont see much. If you only have 2 days I'd stick to Dublin. If you really want to do a trip outside the city I'd recommend Newgrange.

1. Dublin (city)
  2. Kilmainham Gaol (attraction)
  3. Glasnevin Cemetery (attraction)
  4. George's Street (attraction)
  5. Aungier St (attraction)
  6. Camden Street Lower (attraction)
  7. William St S (attraction)
  8. Newgrange (attraction)

Gery from Brussels

Hi Adriana, I'm not a specialist of Ireland, but I do love old houses where you can stay all over Europe. The best website I found to identify period castles which provide accommodation in Ireland is http://www.hiddenireland.com/. Most of these manors are a bit expensive, I'm afraid, but there are quite authentic. The historical experience is usually greater if the guests have been owners of the place for generations... Let us know which one you decided to stay in!

Perla from Alexandria (Virginia)

Visit Killarney if you have time

1. Killarney (city)

Mary Margaret from Bronx

definitely drink Guinness!!! Temple Bar neighborhood has gr8 food, many pubs near Trinity ...................When I was in Spain there was a bus tour you paid a fee & could get on & off as you wished, not sure if they have similar in Dublin!

1. Temple Bar (neighborhood)