Alex
Santa Cruz

Dublin, Belfast, Ireland, United Kingdom

Fastest and most cost-effective way to get to Belfast from Dublin

Are there buses or trains, or should I rent a car?  How long would it take?  And if you have any suggestions for things to see and do in Belfast, that would be cool too!  I plan to be there for two days to visit with friends.

Erin from New York City

Hello!

The bus system in Ireland is really great. Anytime I was traveling between Belfast and Dublin I would hop on the Ulsterbus (www.translink.co.uk). It is the cheapest by far. I never took the train, but I remember it being much more expensive, and taking about the same amount of time. Renting a car is also a great way to go, but it is unnecessary, and cumbersome, once you are in the cities. 

Belfast is one of my most favorite cities in the world. I would suggest checking out the live music scene, which is amazing there ( The Limelight). Also Crown Liquor Saloon, is a bit of a tourist trap, but also worth seeing. The Titanic Museum is supposed to be great. 

Many people will suggest the Black Cab Tours of east and west Belfast. I am not to sure about where the money for those go, so I would maybe stay away.

Belfast is a beautiful city, and the best part about it are the people who live there. You'll have the best craic if you just go out with an open mind and see what happens!

Hope this helps!

1. The Limelight (attraction)
  2. Crown Liquor Saloon (attraction)

Albert from Belfast

Hello,

There is a bus every hour from Dublin Airport (DUB) and it's Translink X1/X2 service. It takes 1h50m to get to Belfast Europa bus center. Even if you would rent a car and drive above speed limit that will only save you approx. 15 minutes lol ;-) So bus is a best choice, especially when you have WiFi on board.

Belfast is well known for its traditional bars and pubs (where everyone is drinking Guinness) and of course Titanic build site. There are 2 great museums ( Ulster Museum and Titanic Belfast Museum) and plenty of other sightseeing, depending on what you would like to see.

Hope this helps, but give me a shout if you need more info.

1. Dublin Airport (DUB) (attraction)
  2. Ulster Museum (attraction)
  3. Titanic Belfast Museum (attraction)

Sarah from Austin (Texas)

Not sure about transportation because we took a private tour bus up to Belfast, but we saw some great places. Titanic Belfast Museum is pretty cool. There was a Game of Thrones exhibit inside while we were there, not sure if it's still there or not though. Also as long as you're in Northern Ireland, I would check out the  Carrick-A-Rede Rope Bridge and  Giant's Causeway. Carrick-A-Rede was my favorite place in Ireland and honestly one of my favorite places in the world. On a clear day you can see all the way to Scotland!

1. Carrick-A-Rede Rope Bridge (attraction)
  2. Giant's Causeway (attraction)
  3. Titanic Belfast Museum (attraction)

Philip from Greenisland

Hi Alex , there is a great train and bus service between the two cities, the bus is slightly cheaper and takes a little longer, around 3 hours depending on traffic etc. its about £12 one way, however if you book in advance on the web you can get some excellent deals especially on return tickets.

you can rent a cheap enough car which gives you more freedom and the roads are very good.

https://secure.translink.co.uk/Buy-Online/Desktop/Enterprise-Web-Fare-Ticket/Step-1/

http://www.rentalcars.com/en/

Belfast has a good nightlife scene, i'm sure your friends can sort you out there. The usual visitor thing is the Titanic Tours about the troubles, etc.. if you have time, check out Giants Causeway.

1. Belfast (attraction)
  2. Giants Causeway (city)

eef

The station in Dublin to Belfast is Dublin Heuston Railway Station in city centre. Ya might  need a cab there depending on weather and baggage - it's about twenty minutes from oconnel st. The website for Irish trains are ' iarnród eireann '

1. Dublin Heuston Railway Station (attraction)

Vinny from Cashel

I would get the train. 2hrs. You can book online www.irishrail.ie. I would suggest the Titanic Belfast Museum. I hear good things about it. Hope this helps.

1. Titanic Belfast Museum (attraction)

eef

Yes the train ! It's a beautiful comfortable train with a bar. Just watch for the different journey times - some are expresses and some are not - also there are rush hour (6pm) trains that will be very busy with commuters And you ate never guaranteed a seat.

Grant from New York City

The easiest way is the train, it's a couple hours but gets you right in downtown