Heather
Levittown

Dublin

Car rental in Dublin

Is it necessary to rent a car to travel around Dublin, or is there easy transportation for us to get around?

Robert from Seattle

Yes and No. 

If you only plan to see around Dublin city or nearby towns, public transportation is good enough. You can take Dublin Bus or LUAS(www.luas.ie), you can pretty much go most of places. 

However, if you wish to really enjoy great places other than bars, museums, there are plenty of places to go around Dublin, and you surely need a car to get there. 

Be aware of: 

- Most cars are manual transmission. So if you can only drive automatic, you MUST request before booking, otherwise they will think you get a manual car by default. 

- Dublin and whole Ireland, UK drive on the left side, make sure you can drive in that side. It's fairly confusing in the beginning and the traffic condition in Dublin isn't that easy. 

Mary Margaret from Bronx

If you're staying in Dublin don't bother w/ a car !! walkable, bus & if you wish you could book a tour out of Dublin Im sure you could get something booked for a day trip or over nite , B& B's  are great !

In Dublin Temple Bar is an area with great restaurants/ pubs, wine bars. Nice shopping that side of the Liffey as well.

1. Temple Bar (attraction)

Jaime from Chicago

Hi Heather,

I lived in Dublin for half a year and it is not necessary to rent a car while there. The city is easy to walk through, and there are plenty of buses which are easy to navigate on. If you want to travel a bit outside of the city you can take the train and will be able to walk wherever you would like from those stops.

Hope this helps!

Andrew

It is pretty easy to get around Dublin without a car. I spent about a week there over my stay in Ireland and never regretted not having a car. They have a pretty decent transit system and almost everything you really want to see is within walking distance. I did however, get a car and drive around the whole island! which I totally recommend! 

Mark from Tenerife

The public transportation is very good and parking as well, as traffic can be a nightmare...have fun 

Victoria from Plant City

If you plan on driving around the Country then yes def. rent a car but Dublin has a million cabs and other ways to get around so I wouldn't recommend getting one. 

Heather from Santa Monica

You would not need a rental car in Dublin at all. There is Dublin Bus which takes you all around Dublin and the residential areas surrounding it. There is also the Dart which takes you along the coast. You can also get around easily with taxis. Especially if you download the Halo app on your phone. That way a taxi can track you down if you are having trouble either finding a cab or it's very busy. It would probably be hard (and expensive) to find a place to leave the car.  

Jaime from Chicago

I took a bus with some friends to Kilkenny and it took about an hour and a half. Depending on where you are leaving from in Dublin it shouldn't be too hard to get there from. Make sure to check out the castle there, it's beautiful=)

1. Kilkenny (city)

Iris from Dublin

Prices on rental cars in Dublin are among the lowest ones in Europe. According to Rental24h Dublin the prices start from $6 per day in particular seasons. So, taking into account the car rental prices during the season you are traveling and the number of people you are traveling with, your expenses on transportation can be even 3-4 times cheaper with a rental car compared to public transportation.

Iris from Dublin

I would highly recommend you to rent a car. I live in Dublin for 10 year and I can't imagine not driving a car, especially for tourists. My friends who came to visit me on winter holidays booked a car at Rental24H Dublin and they were very glad they did it.