Alex
Santa Cruz

Dublin, Ireland

Best old school pubs in Dublin

I'll be in Dublin for a week and would like to check out some really old school pubs, preferably with decent pub grub.  Will be my first time in Dublin, so really all ears for anything!

Darren from Dublin

Hi Alex,

I recommend  Grogan's as a good old-fashioned pub, quite unlike many of the others that I have mentioned before such as  Kehoe'sNeary's or  McDaid's. They are all great, but Grogan's has that old feel like what pubs looked like when I was a kid in the 1980s. 

Unlike then when Club Orange or Britvic 55 were the order of the day, I enjoy a few pints now and can recommend Grogan's where there is no TV to distract you from the real reason to be in an Irish pub - conversation!

As for food, try  Davy Byrne's pub which has a great staff and good food with historical connections. Or try the spacious  The Duke, it's popular and is the meeting place for The Dublin Pub Crawl Tour, although do bear in mind that food service here stops at 17:00.

Hope this helps a bit,

Darren.

1. Kehoe's (attraction)
  2. Neary's (attraction)
  3. Davy Byrne's pub (attraction)
  4. Grogan's (attraction)
  5. McDaid's (attraction)
  6. The Duke (attraction)

Sarah from Austin (Texas)

O'Neills Pub in city center is great. I was in Dublin for 5 weeks and I went at least 5 times with my group. Never had their food but I heard great things, and they have a huge selection of whiskey. Also great live music every night. I would say it's also one of the more traditional pubs in the area. Some other good places we went to a few times were The Porterhouse (there are 2) and Hogan's Bar.

1. O'Neills Pub (restaurant)
  2. The Porterhouse (attraction)
  3. Hogan's Bar (attraction)

Dana from Burlington (Vermont)

You can't go wrong at the  The Hairy Lemon on Lower Saint Stephen. And The Dawson Lounge is the smallest pub in Dublin.

1. The Dawson Lounge (attraction)
  2. The Hairy Lemon (attraction)

Grant from New York City

It's a little off the beaten path in Dublin 2, but  The Barge is a neighborhodd spot with classic pub grub.  Situated right on the Grand Canal, the scene during the day is very much local workers/students grabbing some lunch but at night the place gets pretty crowded, especially on Karaoke night.  Enjoy, and Slainte!

-Grant 

1. The Barge (attraction)

Laura - from Dublin

1. John Kavanagh (Grave Diggers) (restaurant)
  2. Cobblestone Pub (restaurant)