Joshua
Charlotte

Joshua from Charlotte asked

Dubai travel recommendations?

Considering a 5-6 day stay in Dubai (near Palm Jumeirah) this Winter.

My travel budget is about 500 USD. Looking to fix at least half my meals while there to save money since the place I'm staying has a kitchenette.

Best most cost effective city travel methods/routes?

Foods to try/avoid?

Safe to drink tap water?

Low cost/free but great places I shouldn't miss (or should avoid)? I'm not very touristy. More interested in memorable experiences.

Credit card payments good for most expenses or prefer local currency?

What are other important things I should be aware of that will make my trip safer, easier and cost effective?

Dubai (United Arab Emirates)

Radhina from Dubai

Dubai is a very safe city and it is rare that visitors have any issues if one is respectful of the local culture and sensibilities.

The best free/ low-cost attractions (and some of the city's most atmospheric) are in Old Dubai in the Dubai Creek area where you can visit the Gold and Spice souks and check out the old dhows. The Bastakiya area or what is now Al Fahidi St is also a good place to wander around to get a taste of the traditional low rise architecture.

For a completely different side of the city visit Downtown Dubai where you can check out the world's tallest building Burj Khalifa (trips to the viewing gallery can be booked online in advance) and the The Dubai Fountain which has half-hourly free "dancing performances" in the evenings. In winter you can also take segway tours in this area or walk down Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Boulevard which has many cafes and restaurants.

Jumeirah Beach Residence is also a nice area to walk and dine in during winter and closer to Internet City, as is Dubai Marina

And of course the beaches are easily accessible and great for swimming, paddle boarding etc.

The Dubai Metro is the most viable form of public transport along with buses and the Dubai Tram, although the routes do not cover the whole city very well and are best used only when pretty close to destinations you wish to visit - Dubai is not a walking city and distances are often longer than what they appear.

That said, cabs are relatively cheap compared to the rest of the developed world and easy to hail off the street.

Enjoy Dubai!

1. Dubai Creek (attraction)
  2. Al Fahidi St (attraction)
  3. Downtown Dubai (attraction)
  4. Burj Khalifa (attraction)
  5. The Dubai Fountain (attraction)
  6. Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Boulevard (attraction)
  7. Jumeirah Beach Residence (attraction)
  8. Dubai Marina (attraction)
Joana from Lisbon

Hi Joshua!

I lived in Dubai for quite some time :)

5/6 days is perfect time staying!

I can with you the place I always go for sunsets! It's called Jetty Lounge and it's inside the One & Only The Palm Staff Residence 

You can have a glass of a wine for a reasonable price and the place is amazing!

If you want me to share more places please feel free to reply!

Hope you have a blast! Cheers*

Enrik from New York, New York

if you have pre-booked the hotel, 500 usd are ok, but keep in mind that food and many things are very expebsive in dubai!

you must visit Burj Khalifa and get to the top of it,

visit the Jumeirah Beach Residence and see from the beach the 5 star hotel, 

make a trip with Dubai metro (make sure to stay at the part for man)

dont miss the duna dubai safari (its $45 dinner included and all the activities)

1. Burj Khalifa (attraction)
  2. Jumeirah Beach Residence (attraction)