Alicia
Wyoming, Minnesota

Alicia from Wyoming, Minnesota asked

What to do with an 8h layover in Dubai?

We have an 8hr layover in Dubai on New Years Eve. Should we take the time to leave the airport? We'll be in Terminal 3 so any recommendations would be appreciated.

Dubai

dinesh from Dubai

Yes you definitely can leave the airport and the best place would be dubai downtown area wihere the Dubai Mall, Burj Khalifa (the tallest tower) and the fountain are located to get the feel of dubai. Take a metro to beat the traffic as it can can be a problem during peak hours, but it takes 20 minutes to walk to the mall through the link to the mall from the metro station. And keep tab on the time.

1. Dubai Mall (attraction)
  2. Burj Khalifa (attraction)
Angel from Seychelles

Hi Alicia,

I highly recommend that you leave the airport if you have not yet seen Dubai. Whenever I travel, I travel through Dubai (even just for a few hours) it's worth it. If you're not on a tight budget, I would suggest you get a taxi (they are all VERY safe) and let him take you on a drive to see some marvelous buildings in JBR, Downtown Dubai, the Marina Walk. I've been to Dubai at least 20 or 30 times, and I never get enough of it. 

Otherwise, for such a long Lay-Over, if not to sight-see Dubai, I would suggest you check into an airport hotel. The entrances are within the terminals :)

Any further questions about dubai ... please feel free to contact me on www.facebook/zestini.international, we will be happy to assist :)

Alicia
Thanks Angel! It's going to be New Year's Eve and in the evening, so I was more wondering if it would be crazy in the city and if things would be open later at night.

1. Dubai (city)
  2. Downtown Dubai (attraction)
  3. Marina Walk (attraction)
Radhina from Dubai

I would recommend taking the metro to Dubai Mall and checking out the Burj Khalifa and the Downtown Area, mainly because it will be really quick and easy to get to via Metro during the day and you can tick off visiting the city's most iconic landmark and the world's tallest tower Burj Khalifa

Alternatively you could get a bit of a taste of Old Dubai by visiting Al Fahidi St and walking around the nearby Dubai Creek area, take an abra down the waterway and check out the Gold and Spice souqs. This bit of town is definitely more Middle Eastern and atmospheric and easy to get to from Terminal 3.

Enjoy Dubai!

1. Burj Khalifa (attraction)
  2. Al Fahidi St (attraction)
  3. Dubai Creek (attraction)
Arpit from Jaipur, Rajasthan

Take a tour of Burj Khalifa with Mall of Emirates

1. Burj Khalifa (attraction)
  2. Mall of Emirates (attraction)