Sara
Mohegan Lake, New York

Driving from LA to Vancouver, going through Portland and Seattle

I'm driving from LA to Vancouver with my 6 and 8 year olds in December.  I am from Guatemala and my kids have never seen snow. We definitely want to go to Yosemite and the Sequoia National Park but don´t know about any highlights from there to Sacramento and then to Seattle followed by Vancouver.  Is Portland worth visiting?  Anything that is a must see? Suggestions?

Lynn

Skip Portland, but the Oregon coast is lovely and an easy drive;  and I don't know anything in Sacramento worth visiting (except wineries). Yosemite National Park & Sequoia a must-see.  Tahoe City is a good choice... beautiful lake!  Be careful in December... roads may be snowy &/or icy.  Seattle will most likely be overcast & gloomy;  same with Vancouver.

1. Portland (city)
  2. Sacramento (city)
  3. Yosemite National Park (attraction)
  4. Tahoe City (city)
  5. Seattle (city)
  6. Vancouver (city)

Andy

Detour 2 hours west from Sacramento and see San Francisco.

or, check out Lake Tahoe

1. Sacramento (city)
  2. San Francisco (city)
  3. Lake Tahoe (city)

Suzanne from Pasadena

You are driving through a beautiful coastline, but your kids are 6 and 8 so you need to tailor this trip to them. You are right on with Yosemite and Sequoia. Sacramento is quite charming and has a great "old town" to see. It is also special to see the capitol. The Oregon Coast is gorgeous, I would stop in Portland for a bite to eat, but I would spend my time in Seattle and see the The Space NeedlePike Place MarketPioneer Squareand take the Underground Tour in Pioneer Square. Best of luck and safe travels.

1. Pike Place Market (attraction)
  2. Pioneer Square (attraction)