Liz
Austin (Texas)

Denver

Things to do during 1 free day in Denver (early May)

I'll be attending a conference in downtown Denver the first week of May.  I get in on Sunday afternoon, and the conference starts Monday evening.  What is your best advice for how I should spend my free time as that will be all I have - everything else is scheduled out!  I love walking unique neighborhoods, shopping, eating out (adventurous eater), wine (no beer), great museums and outdoor activities.  I may be by myself, or with some friends from work.  Thanks!

Jan from Thornton

I wish I knew which hotel you were staying at.  There are so many things to see in downtown Denver.  First thing, if you don't already know, is that downtown Denver has a 16th Mall bus that runs up and down 24 blocks of a pedestrian only street in the middle of downtown.  Runs every 15-20 minutes or so all day and late into the night.  FREE, So wherever you are staying, if you can get to the 16th street mall, you can pretty much get  around downtown without a car the whole time.  There are a million stores, restaurants and business but I will tell you about places that have been there for awhile that are worth seeing and have stood the test of time.  Any trendy places you can probably find on trip advisor or from some under 25 year olds that may know.  In lower downtown, you must see the new/old redone  Denver Union Station. A very historical place that is getting a new facelift, not just the train station it used to be.  Across the street is a great place to eat/drink that has been there for at least 20 years or more, the Wynkoop Brewing Co.Our Governor Hickenlooper started out as a brewmaster back in the day here and helped start this place and people still flock here. I don't drink beer either, there  is great wine there too. Also up the street a little and on corner  of 16th St, is the best book store ever Tattered Cover Book Store.  Not your normal eveery day bookstore. There is one more uptown, but look for the location down in lodo. (Lower Downtown as it is referred to.)  Also, on 17th and Wynkoop is one of the oldest hotels still in operation in Lower Downtown, The Oxford Hotel. This place still has a great restaurant in it McCormick's Fish House & Barand the best old art deco bar that people still go to for martinis and wine is The Cruise Room BarOpened in 1930's and still my favorite place to go after running around to all the new places to see and do in LoDo.  The Museums that you can get to pretty easy that are downtown are the Denver Art Museum and History Colorado Center.  For Shopping areas, there is a bunch of stores and restaurants called the Denver Pavilions. And of course, just going down Blake Street to see Coors Field where the Rockies play is great fun!!  And that is just a start!!

1. Denver Union Station (attraction)
  2. Wynkoop Brewing Co. (attraction)
  3. Tattered Cover Book Store (attraction)
  4. The Oxford Hotel (hotel)
  5. The Cruise Room Bar (attraction)
  6. Denver Art Museum (attraction)
  7. History Colorado Center (attraction)
  8. Coors Field (attraction)
  9. McCormick's Fish House & Bar (restaurant)
  10. Denver Pavilions (attraction)

Kyran from Denver

If you want to get out of downtown, head towards capitol hill, stop by the Denver Botanic Gardens, eat lunch at TAG Burger Bar, then head out for a walk around City Park.  It is too far to walk from downtown, but you can grab a red Denver Bicycle Cafe for the day

1. Denver Botanic Gardens (attraction)
  2. TAG Burger Bar (restaurant)
  3. City Park (attraction)
  4. Denver Bicycle Cafe (restaurant)

Shelly from Denver

Larimer Square has wonderful boutiques and great restaurants. It's adjacent to the 16th Street Mall, which is a great place to stroll and be with locals. If you continue either way on the Mall, you'll be in great neighborhoods that are safe: northwest will take you to uptown; southeast will take you to Lodo (lower downtown). If you cross the bridge over route 25, you'll enter the Highlands. It's a very hip, upcoming neighborhood but it's quite a walk.

You're also close enough to walk to the Denver Art Museum and the History Colorado Center. Both are nice. You should have great weather. Enjoy your time in Denver!

1. Larimer Square (attraction)
  2. 16th Street Mall (attraction)
  3. Highlands (attraction)
  4. Denver Art Museum (attraction)
  5. History Colorado Center (attraction)

Rick from Denver

You're in luck. Downtown Denver is very walkable. The weather can be hit or miss in early May, so prepare for anything. Take the lightrail train around town or rent a bike from one of the self-serve rental stations. Check out these neighborhoods: Washington Park; Larimer Square; Highlands (not Highlands Ranch); Capitol Hill (Denver); Cherry Creek Trail. All have great shops and restaurants. One of my favs is Root Down in Highlands. Also Rioja in Larimer Square. No shortage of wine bars in Denver.

1. Washington Park (attraction)
  2. Larimer Square (attraction)
  3. Highlands (attraction)
  4. Capitol Hill (Denver) (neighborhood)
  5. Cherry Creek Trail (attraction)
  6. Root Down (restaurant)
  7. Downtown Denver (attraction)
  8. Rioja (restaurant)

Stephanie from Kansas City (Missouri)

Fantastic places to hike just west of Denver.  Weather will be great and the views are amazing.  Quick drive to the mountain towns too! Breckenridge is one of my favorite little ski towns.

1. Breckenridge (city)

sudhir from Denver

Hello! Hope you will enjoy your time in Denver. There are a lot of unique food options. Some of my favorite places are The Populist and The Squeaky Bean. If you like wine, you should definitely check out Infinite Monkey Theorem. Try taking a walk done the Cherry Creek Trail right off of downtown. For shopping, there is always the traditional mall Cherry Creek Shopping Center or try walking down South Broadway. Hope you have fun!

1. The Squeaky Bean (restaurant)
  2. Cherry Creek Trail (attraction)
  3. Cherry Creek Shopping Center (attraction)
  4. The Populist (restaurant)
  5. Infinite Monkey Theorem (attraction)
  6. South Broadway (attraction)