Kkapil asked

Layover in Heathrow for 22 hrs 40 mins

First of all I am very new with International Flying..Have so many doubts and concerns in travelling.

I am travelling from Delhi to Newark with layover at Heathrow(LHR) for 22hrs..can someone advise what can and cannot I do in LHR..Really Appreciate your suggestions..

Delhi   Newark (New Jersey)

Ram from Los Altos

I agree why bother transiting in LHR at all.. for a couple of hundred dollars buy a non stop direct United or even flying thru Dubai on emirates is better. 

Arun from India

Just change the flight and you'll save yourself from the hell that is LHR.  

A transit visa is required. Pls check with the visa officer at your nearest UK consulate. I don't think VFS would be helpful, but you can try. Given the strict immigration guidelines the officers at LHR work under now, they may not be able to offer the option to go out of the airport despite your valid US visa.  

The next time you book long haul flights, make sure to check the availability of hotels within the airport. Schiphol Amsterdam for example, has some great choices at reasonable rates and maybe even offer a short excursion out into the city.

Janelle from Charleston

Heathrow is not a place you'll want to linger at.  It's crowded and noisy, and if you wander about for too long you'll attracted unwanted attention from airport police.  If I were you I'd book a hotel room near the airport (there are plenty to choose from at all budget levels) and spend the night in the hotel.  That way you'll have a soft bed, your own bathroom and shower, a TV and a bit of privacy. 

If you're connecting through Terminal 4, the Heathrow Hilton is a good choice.  For Terminal 5, the Sofitel London Heathrow Hotel is good but pricey.  If you're connecting through the other terminals then there are plenty of choices along Bath Road.  It's an easy shuttle bus ride between the hotel and the terminal.

1. Heathrow Hilton (hotel)
  2. Sofitel London Heathrow Hotel (attraction)
  3. Bath Road (attraction)
Mary from Leicester

First of all, you need to check your visa status using the official United Kingdom government website:

https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa

Indian citizens usually need a Direct Airside Transit Visa to make a flight connection airside (that is, without going through border control, baggage reclaim and customs) in any UK airport. BUT having a United States visa means you do not need a DATV. You will be able to stay airside at Heathrow Airport without a DATV.

But as your layover is very long I'd guess you will have to ...or want to... go landside (that is, go through border control, baggage reclaim and Customs and be in the fresh air). Indian citizens who are making a connection require a Visitor in Transit visa to enter the UK. 

Your US visa might exempt you from needing a Visitor in Transit visa but please note the word 'might'. It is used on the official site above as well. 

The decision whether to let you enter the UK and go landside without a Visitor in Transit visa is made by the border official who deals with you on the day. There are no guarantees.

It is entirely up to you whether you apply for a Visitor in Transit visa before you leave:

https://www.gov.uk/transit-visa

Heathrow is a large and very busy airport. There are cafes, restaurants, shops and places to sit both airside and landside at all terminals. Note that if you remain airside you must stay in the terminal from which your Newark (New Jersey) flight departs. You will not be able to visit other terminals.

There are many hotels around Heathrow, though they are not cheap, and also plenty of places to eat.

With such a long layer it would also be possible to go into London, though I'm not sure you'd want to do that? 

Kkapil
Thanks Mary, for your valuable inputs. I am interested to spend some time landside, but worried about the formalities of checkout baggage's and other stuff..Also my Friend returned back from UK very recently(As his project work ended)..So I may need to stick back at terminal-3 and catch the next flight.. Again thanks for taking time and replying..

Mary
You don't need to 'worry' about your bags, though collecting them *will* mean you need to formally enter the UK. As your layover is very long the chances are that even if you have a through ticket (rather than two separate tickets) you will have to collect and re-check your bags. Contact the airline concerned to be find out about this.

1. United Kingdom (country)
  2. United States (attraction)
  3. Heathrow Airport (attraction)
  4. Newark (New Jersey) (city)