Mickey

Darwin

Darwin over Uluru

We will be in AU for three weeks. Week one we are in Canberra on business, then a week in Port Douglas.

Then we have choice of Darwin or Uluru for our remaining week. My bride wants to see the outback.

Does Darwin trump Uluru if you have a week?

We may never get back to AU, so please advise:

Thanx!

Sharon

Depending on the time of year you are going, like Michael suggested, I'd do Darwin and Kakadu over Ayers Rock Campground - Ayers Rock Resort. Since you are already up in Port Douglas, it would be an easy flight to Darwin. Just remember, the rainy season in the Northern Territory is November through March. On the other hand, depending on the time of year, the black flies can be a problem at Ayers Rock. I have visited both regions and would go back to the Northern Territory before going back to Ayers Rock.

1. Darwin (city)
  2. Kakadu (attraction)
  3. Ayers Rock Campground - Ayers Rock Resort (hotel)
  4. Port Douglas (attraction)

Michael from San Diego

That's an easy one for me:  Darwin(and the surrounding Top End) has some of Australia's most beautiful locations, including Kakadu.  It also has aboriginal lands that are authentic to these people.  But it is warm and access to some places is sometimes a challenge.  Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park is more accessible, although heavily touristed and Alice Springs is a nightmare.  I've been to both and would far prefer the beauty, remoteness and authenticity of Darwin over the Uluru "attraction".  But if ease of access is an issue for you, you might choose Uluru.

1. Darwin (city)
  2. Australia (attraction)
  3. Kakadu (attraction)
  4. Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park (attraction)
  5. Alice Springs (attraction)