Katia
Brisbane

Katia from Brisbane asked

Road/train trip Darwin-Alice springs, Stuart highway

Hi there

Im planning a little trip (2 weeks max) between Darwin and Alice springs this december. Im not sure whether to drive there an stake the train back, or take the train both ways.

anyone has taken the Ghan before an scan tell me if its worth it? or if the drive's worth it? It seems there is a lot to see around Darwin/Katherine but much less so between Katherine and Alice..

thanks!!

Darwin   Alice Springs

Fay from Bendigo

It is a very hot time of year so can I suggest taking the Ghan train to Alice Springs..the train stops for sightseeing at Katherine

You could then sit back in air conditioned comfort and enjoy the red vast outback. Lovely meals served in the dining car (and a good Australian wine) Many interesting tours available in Alice Springs in air conditioned coaches. Personally I would return to Darwin by air allowing more time for sightseeing and perhaps a trip out to Ayers Rock.

1. Alice Springs (attraction)
  2. Katherine (city)
  3. Darwin (city)
  4. Ayers Rock (attraction)
Keith from Denver

I haven't done it myself yet, but I've heard such great things about The Ghan, which is the railway station there. I would have to try it. If you drove, you'd have to concentrate on the road, but if you took the Ghan you could just kick back and watch the scenery out the window. Plus, it's just such classic travel experience, how can you resist? That would be my vote!