Maddie
Sydney

Darwin

One Day in Darwin!

Hi all! 

I'm spending one day in Darwin before I start a Uni fieldtrip through a couple of NPs (Mary River and Litchfield), and am looking at different things to see in Darwin! 

I've heard about some markets, and I'd love to see any natural landmarks or sites before the tour.

Let me know of any suggestions :)

The Parap Village Market is pretty fun. The food is ridiculous there. I've scoured every Asian restaurant for a papaya salad that good, and nothing gets close. There's also a place called the the Didgeridoo Hut just outside of town ... when I was there, they had an orphaned baby wallaby hopping around. It is a really good place to grab a didgeridoo, if that's your sort of thing (UPDATE - you're from Australia, so you've probably had your fill of that!). Be careful on the beaches - lots of coral-like stuff waiting to slice your feet up.

The wharf area is great, too. I had some camel schnitzel there and saw a huge box jellyfish. I stayed at the Melaleuca On Mitchell. It's a bit noisy, so get a room far away from the front, if possible.

1. Melaleuca On Mitchell (hotel)

Jayde from Australia

Hi Maddie :)

I was going to suggest Litchfield National Park but it looks like you're already going there. If its just a day in Darwin I would recommend going to see Charles Darwin National Park. Its very nice and not far outside the city! Be careful this time of the year though as it does rain often and there's a lot of mozzies. Make sure you take lots of water aswell. But other than that it's a great national park with lots of history. 

In terms of natural beauty, definitely check out East Point or the Nightcliff coastlines :)

Hope your trip is great!

1. Litchfield National Park (attraction)
  2. Charles Darwin National Park (attraction)

Natalie from Mandurah, Western Australia

Hi Maddie

I spent 1.5 years in Darwin. The markets are so vibrant. Here is a list of the markets. Mindil Beach Sunset Market at sunset absolutely must be on your bucket list. Nightcliff are also fantastic for that fab local vibe.

Have the best trip!

1. Mindil Beach Sunset Market (attraction)
  2. Nightcliff (city)