Tandy
Miami

Dallas

Where is the best barbeque in Dallas?

My husband love bbq, so I want to have a few good bbq places lined up for our upcoming trip there.  We'll be staying at Hotel ZaZa (I think this is considered Downtown near the Arts District), but we'll be renting a car, so we'll be able to go anywhere.  

What would you say that the top three Dallas bbq places are?  Bonus points if these bbq places are close to any cool attractions!

Gary from Scottsdale

1. Lockhart (city)
  2. Kreuz Market (restaurant)
  3. Smitty's Market (restaurant)

Brew from Manhattan Beach

I don't know if it qualifies as "the best" in Dallas, but I love the barbeque at  Peggy Sue BBQ.  Their sauces are out of this world and their brisket sandwiches (both chopped and sliced) are incredible as well.  A lot of hard core Texas bbq people say that you shouldn't have sauce if the smoking is done correctly, but I personally think the sauce is very important. Peggy Sue is right by the SMU campus, which is very beautiful and a nice place to stroll pre or post BBQ.

My mouth is watering thinking about Peggy Sue's spicy barbecue sauce on a chopped brisket sandwich.

Other great options are  Off The Bone Barbeque and  Meshack's Bar-be-que Shack.  Meshack's is literally a shack.  Off The Bone is "nicer", but still divey.  Peggy Sue's would be "very nice" compared to the other two. 

1. Peggy Sue BBQ (restaurant)
  2. Off The Bone Barbeque (restaurant)
  3. Meshack's Bar-be-que Shack (restaurant)

Scott from Fort Worth

Pecan Lodge [inside the Dallas Farmers Market] is the #2 BBQ place in the entire state, according to Texas Monthly (www.tmbbq.com). Get there for an early lunch, or they'll be out of that beautiful brisket. Enjoy!

1. Pecan Lodge (restaurant)

MaryAnn from Albuquerque

Head south. Like SOUTH. Anywhere that begins to look dicey or make you question if you made a 'wrong turn', then start looking for BBQ signs. Painted on trucks, building sides, trailer sides. Sides. Then you're golden. If they have table cloths - run. If 'utensils' are metal in form - run. Fort Worth has solid BBQ. East Texas ( Nacogdoches, Tyler, Lufkin, Garrison, Pal, and so forth) has good BBQ. In Dallas, it's a bit dressed up, saucy and all. Solid smoked brisket does not require sauce. Go South. Find a guy in a lot selling it out of a trailer - you will be concerned, it will be worth it. I will get 'scolded' for this but it's truth.

1. Fort Worth (city)
  2. Nacogdoches (city)
  3. Tyler (city)
  4. Lufkin (city)
  5. Garrison (city)
  6. Dallas (city)

Cara from San Francisco

In Dallas proper, Mike Anderson's BBQ House is my fave, and not far from Hotel Zaza Dallas. It's only open for lunch and gets packed, so arrive on the early side of the hour. But as noted from others, the best stuff is a little father afield if you don't mind a couple hours' drive.

1. Dallas (city)
  2. Hotel Zaza Dallas (hotel)
  3. Mike Anderson's BBQ House (restaurant)

Steve from Dallas

Off The Bone Barbeque- If you don't look carefully, it's easy to miss it and drive right pass it. But, once you see it, you'll never want to leave.

Sonny Bryan's Smokehouse- The original Sonny Bryan's has been THE PLACE to get serious BBQ for years. Get your chicken, sausage, brisket, and ribs done right. 

Baby Back Shak- Clarence Cohen's no-frills Memphis-style joint delivers mouthwatering meat and HUGE stuffed baked potatoes. You should try the baby backs, if you haven’t figured that out by now.

Odom's Bar-B-Que- Pay no attention to the bars on the windows or the “No Guns” sign on the front door. Once inside you’ll find the friendliest people and some of the best 'cue in town. Don’t miss the ribs. I always get a mixed to-go order of Ribs and Beef drenched in the tangy BBQ sauce when I'm in Big D.

Outside of Lockhart, Texas these places should whet your BBQ craving while in Big D!!

1. Off The Bone Barbeque (restaurant)
  2. Sonny Bryan's Smokehouse (restaurant)
  3. Baby Back Shak (restaurant)
  4. Odom's Bar-B-Que (restaurant)

Brandie from Afghanistan

Hotel Zaza Dallas is in Uptown which is just north of Downtown Dallas. Very nice hotel. As far as the best barbque in Dallas goes, that would spark a great debate. I personally have a couple of favorite spots, depending on the mood and style. For the most part I do my own barbque and the best barbque usually is not from a restaurant. However, when I'm not in the mood we go to Bone Daddy's House of Smoke. It's not the best but it has it's on uniqueness, especially with the violated chicken that makes it worth the visit. Also consider Pecan Lodge and Lockhart Smokehouse. But whatever you do, don't waste your time or money on Sonny's or Red Hot and Blue. Colter's Barbecue would be better than those last two places. Dallas is full of "hole in the wall" spots with great barbque and food, but I wouldn't recommend your first visit be anywhere off the beaten track. Take care and enjoy Dallas!

1. Hotel Zaza Dallas (hotel)
  2. Bone Daddy's House of Smoke (restaurant)
  3. Pecan Lodge (restaurant)
  4. Lockhart Smokehouse (restaurant)
  5. Downtown Dallas (attraction)
  6. Colter's Barbecue (restaurant)

Aaron from Texas

Babb Bros. BBQ & Blues http://www.babbbrothers.com/

1. Babb Bros. BBQ & Blues (restaurant)

Mac from Fort Worth

Hello! I live right next to Hotel Zaza Dallas (GREAT LOCATION!)

1. Lockhart Smokehouse (oak cliff or plano)

2. Sonny Bryan's Smokehouse (next to hotel)

3. Red Hot & Blue (75 and walnut hill)

1. Hotel Zaza Dallas (hotel)
  2. Lockhart Smokehouse (restaurant)
  3. Sonny Bryan's Smokehouse (restaurant)
  4. Red Hot & Blue (restaurant)