Dallas

What's the best neighborhood in Dallas for a first time visitor?

I've never been to Dallas and I'm a little overwhelmed by all the hotel options. I'd like to stay in a hotel that is central and gives me good sense of what Dallas is like. I'd love to know where locals tell their friends to stay when they visit, and why those areas and hotels are special. thanks!

Daniel from Dallas

Stay at the Belmont Hotel Dallas in the newly gentrified neighborhood of Oak Cliff. It is right next door to Smoke, an insanely good upscale take on BBQ from super chef Tim Byre. It is probably one of my favorite restaurants in Dallas. Other good BBQ in the area is Lockhart Smokehouse, in the Bishop Arts District, and of course Pecan Lodge in Deep Ellum. 

1. Belmont Hotel Dallas (hotel)
  2. Oak Cliff (attraction)
  3. Smoke (restaurant)
  4. Lockhart Smokehouse (restaurant)
  5. Bishop Arts District (attraction)
  6. Pecan Lodge (restaurant)

demetra from Dallas

Hotels in the Downtown are central. They allow you to get to most places. The only downfall is expensive parking. The Arts District is great near downtown. Also, you can hit the freeway to shop at N Park Center or the Galleria Dallas quickly.

1. Downtown (attraction)
  2. Arts District (attraction)
  3. N Park Center (attraction)
  4. Galleria Dallas (attraction)