Nad

Dallas, Aspen, Yosemite National Park, San Francisco

Road trip from Dallas to San Francisco

Want to take a road trip from Dallas to San Francisco, via Aspen and Yosemite. Have 8 days/ 7 nights to get to SF. Want to stay 2 nights in Aspen and 2 nights in Yosemite. Please advise best route and stopovers inbetween for overnight stay with family. Ideally would not like to drive for more than 8 hr/day.

Thanks

Nad

Lynn

Woo boy... that's a long way!  Make sure you have good maps!  Your best bet may be to leave Dallas & head north on I-35 to I-70 into Denver.  Then west from Denver to Aspen. Back on I-70 & head west to Crescent Junction, & if you want to, head south on 191 to Moab where I'd advise you to visit Arches National Park (my particular favorite).  Back to I-70 west to 15, & north towards Salt Lake City.  Either visit SLC or bypass & take I-80 west;  that will take you through Reno & near Lake Tahoe(Reno, if you like gambling; Tahoe is gorgeous!)  Head towards Sacramento & there will be signage to Yosemite.  Depending on the time of year & whatever snowfall they've had, you can enter Yosemite from the east or may have to drive around & approach from the west.  Check road conditions.  From Yosemite its about a 3 hour drive to San Francisco.  Before you take my itinerary, if you (or a friend) have AAA, check with them on other itineraries;  they would also have a better idea how long these segments take to drive (I certainly do not!).  Also, Yosemite is a very popular place... make sure you have reservations somewhere ahead of time!  Even camping is not always available.  Staying outside the park would be reasonable & you may have a better chance of that.  Hope this helps.

1. Dallas (city)
  2. Denver (city)
  3. Aspen (attraction)
  4. Moab (city)
  5. Arches National Park (park)
  6. Salt Lake City (city)
  7. Reno (city)
  8. Lake Tahoe (city)
  9. San Francisco (city)

Just the driving is 36 hours to do that. 

Dallas to Aspen- 2 days

Aspen 2 days

Aspen to Yosemite Valley 2.5 to 3 days

Yosemite 2 days

That's 9 days and you haven't gotten to SF yet. 

I suggest to either leave Aspen out or, if you have a pressing reason to be in Aspen then leave out San Francisco.

1. Dallas (city)
  2. Aspen (attraction)
  3. Yosemite Valley (attraction)
  4. San Francisco (city)