• Alon Dvash
  • "Planning a 45 day caravan trip"

Planning a 45 day caravan trip

Hey guys!
Im about to go on a 45days caravan trip with 2 more friends in west Germany starting at Berlin heading south to Prague and Vienna.
I would love if you can share with me any recommendations, suggestions and tips (caravan parking, site seeing, national parks, special routes, attractions and nearby towns that are a must see).
Thank you all :)

• Berlin (city)

Berlin Berlin

• Prague (city)

Prague 150 00

• Dresden (city)

Dresden

• Cathy R

Prague is beautiful, but is in danger of becoming a victim of its own beauty in terms of the sheer numbers of tourists. I have family there, so I have visited in every season and can happily report that it's lovely any time of year, so if you have the choice, then try to avoid high summer (I prefer autumn and winter).

In addition to the most popular attractions, I would highly recommend visiting the original citadel in the suburb of Vyšehrad, which commands a stunning vantage point out over the Vltava River. The Church of Sts Peter and Paul is a jewel box of a church which has been decorated inside with Art Nouveau style frescos, and the neighbouring Slavíncemetery is the resting place of Prague's great and good, and quite the place to be seen dead.

I am very fond of the monstrous Žižkov Television Tower, which regularly makes lists of the world's ugliest buildings. As though its boxlike structure wasn't bad enough, is has been taken to another level of bizarreness by the addition of huge bronze faceless crawling babies by David Cerny, the enfant terrible of Czech sculpture. There's a nice bar in the tower which is a pleasant place to have a beer after a long day of exploring.

Kutna Hora is an elegant town that was built on the riches generated by the local silver mining industry, as evidenced by the stunning St Barbara's Church. It gets a lot of day trippers from Prague, but if you stop overnight, you can get a much better feel for the place.

If you like spa towns, then Karlovy Vary (the former Carlsbad) is the epitome of spa chic - personally I like the idea of spa towns more than I like the reality, as they tend to be full of grumpy old, sick, rich people. Much more interesting is the nearby town of Loket, which has a fabulous location on a hill that is almost completely surrounded by a steep river valley (the technical term is an 'incised meander', giving rise to its old German name of 'Elbogen', meaning 'elbow'). It was a favourite hang out of Goethe's and it's not hard to see why.

My last suggestion would be the university town of Olomouc, which is a welcome antidote to tourist-overrun Prague. It's a quietly unpretentious and charming town that's well worth visiting, with its main claim to fame being a massive Plague Column. However, what I enjoyed most was the only 'socialist' Astronomical Clock I've ever come across. These clocks - such as the one in Prague - usually feature religious figures such as saints and bishops, but under communism, these were replaced with worthy socialist role models such as agricultural labourers, blacksmiths and housewives. It has to be seen to be believed!

1. Prague (city)
    2. Vyšehrad (attraction)
    3. Slavín (attraction)
    4. Žižkov Television Tower (attraction)
    5. Kutna Hora (city)
    6. St Barbara's Church (attraction)
    7. Karlovy Vary (city)
    8. Loket (city)
    9. Olomouc (city)

• ·
    • ·

Send Cathy a Thank You Note