Tony
Seattle

Czech Republic, Prague, Český Krumlov

Best Neighborhoods in Prague and towns that are nearby and relaxing

My wife and I are traveling the world for a year and have been a bit overwhelmed-- too many places in too few days, I think. We're scheduled to go to Prague​ soon-- not the best place to unwind, but we've already got the tickets and we'll be in the area for about 2 weeks.

What's the best neighborhood for us to stay in Prague?  Ideally, we'd like walkable stuff, a pretty neighborhood, not a ton of noise, and good places to eat.

We'd also like to get out of the city to a smaller/relaxing town for half of the time.  Český Krumlov​ looks really nice.  Any other ideas?

Megan from Winston Salem

As far as walkable neighborhoods, I'd recommend something on the outskirts of the Malá Strana district, which is one of the city's most historic areas. Something up near Petřín Tower would be nice because you'll have great views and tons of green space nearby, and it's pretty quiet. Karlín is another alternative; I lived there for a few months in 2010 and really enjoyed it. It's started to slowly come into its own, but has a more residential feel and is minutes from Old Town by tram or metro. Český Krumlov is a great spot to visit. If you're looking for a super-relaxing destination, Karlovy Vary is a spa town that I've heard great things about. Plzen is also great, especially if you love Pilsner beer. Enjoy your time in Prague! 

1. Malá Strana (neighborhood)
  2. Petřín (attraction)
  3. Český Krumlov (attraction)
  4. Karlovy Vary (city)
  5. Plzen (city)
  6. Karlín (attraction)

Annemarie from New York City

It's not walkable, but I stayed at the Barceló Praha which was a very short subway ride from the Charles Bridge and some of the most populated areas and situated up on a hill -- so it had great night views. I liked it better than my previous stay, near the "Jewish Ghetto" neighborhood, because it was quiet and way less expensive and the hotel had some nice perks. But again, if you don't want to take a train, might not be the best spot for you.

1. Barceló Praha (hotel)

Tomas from Prague

Český Krumlov is definitly nice place to view, you can try also Hluboká nad Vltavou, which is close to Česky Krumlov.

If you want something other i can suggest Pilsen - town of beer:)

Or very nice are cities on north west Marianske Lazne, Karlovy Vary, there are old spa and beautiful old cities.

If you like walking I can suggest you to visit some czech mountains, there is nice nature, you can choose higher mountains Krkonoše (highest mountain in Czech 1602m) or smaller one Šumava - both are national parks.

1. Český Krumlov (attraction)
  2. Hluboká nad Vltavou (city)
  3. Pilsen (city)
  4. Marianske Lazne (city)
  5. Karlovy Vary (city)
  6. Krkonoše (attraction)
  7. Šumava (attraction)

Radovan from Prague

You can choose old city - it is amazing but expensive. Try to see  Prague CastleCharles Bridge, St. Vitus Cathedral, Old Town, maybe a view from  Petřín or some of hundreds towers. 

Also you can just stay near to subway (metro) - it is fast to go anywhere in the city.

I can highly recommend  Český Krumlov! But there is bad way from Prague. 

In case of more questions, ask me.

1. Charles Bridge (attraction)
  2. St. Vitus Cathedral (attraction)
  3. Old Town (neighborhood)
  4. Petřín (attraction)
  5. Český Krumlov (attraction)
  6. Prague Castle (attraction)

Sergey

Malá Strana is the best choice to stay in Prague. I recommend hotels near  Malostranske Namesti and/or Nerudova Street.

Easy to reach cities from Prague:

1. Malá Strana (neighborhood)
  2. Malostranske Namesti (attraction)
  3. Nerudova Street (attraction)
  4. Kutna Hora (city)
  5. Karlstejn (city)
  6. Hradec Kralove (city)

Adam from Prague

hey Tony, if you get an accommodation within Prague 1 you can walk anywhere for example  Malá Strana is beautiful location with good places to eat, quite and close to all major attractions. However, Prague has a great public transport system, you can easily get around by the subway, trams and buses wherever you want. 

Apart from Český Krumlov try to visit  Karlstejn. The castle is located in a beautiful country side. You can do some hikes to  Malá Amerika or Velká Amerika. You can get to Karlstejn by a direct train from Prague Main Train Station - very easy and comfortable.

1. Malá Strana (neighborhood)
  2. Český Krumlov (attraction)
  3. Karlstejn (city)
  4. Malá Amerika (attraction)
  5. Velká Amerika (attraction)
  6. Prague Main Train Station (attraction)

Tereza from Prague

Hi Tony,

and how about the Vinohrady district? Good location for escaping the busy life with beautiful architecture. I'd personally recommend Le Palais Art Hotel 

Cesky KrumlovHluboka nad Vltavou or Karlovy Vary are beautiful towns but quite far away from Prague. Kutna Hora or Karlstejn are great options.

Just in case you want to get to Kutná Hora from Prague by car and explore hidden streets of this medieval town & off the beaten path places (awesome private scenic view) where tourists usually don't get to see and listen to stories by a local guy who grew up here, then try this: Day Trip to Kutná Hora

Happy travels! 
Tereza

1. Vinohrady (neighborhood)
  2. Le Palais Art Hotel (hotel)
  3. Cesky Krumlov (city)
  4. Hluboka nad Vltavou (city)
  5. Karlovy Vary (city)
  6. Kutna Hora (city)
  7. Karlstejn (city)