Cherie
Bay Area

Cusco, Nasca

Inca Trail & Nasca Lines

Hi there! I'm planning a trip to Peru in the next few months and have 1.5 - 2 weeks to explore. At the top of my list are the 4 day Inca Trail trek to Machu Picchu and seeing the Nazca Lines. 

My question - which one should I do first, assuming I will arrive and depart from Lima? And what is the best (most efficient) way to travel to and from each of these locations? 

Thanks so much! 

Jennifer from Chico

Look into the Lares Trek I did it in September. There's hardly any people on it and has amazing views. I know a group who did the Inca Trek at the same time and said it was beyond touristy and (outside squat) toilets were horrid.

1. Lares Trek (attraction)

Christine from Auckland

Cherie

I smiled when I read your question. Unfortunately the answer  for NascaNazca is the bus and it is a bit dire! You could do it either way but I  flew into Cusco and then returned to Nazca on the overnight bus. I've never had so many hairpin turns in my life and people were sick. My advice is to take motion sickness tablets and pick the 'rolls royce' of bus options which is Cruz del Sur - you pay a little more but need the comfort/space and safety. If you really want to avoid this then fly in and out of Cusco back to Lima and then just take the bus down the coast to and from Nazca which is relatively easy. You could do Nazca, flight  and return to Lima in a day - there is nothing much else to see in the town or if you are coming in on the overnight bus,  book into a cheap hotel, have a shower and breakfast, do the flight and catch a 2pm bus back to Lima. Despite this issue - it is a great trip. Enjoy it.

1. Nasca (city)
  2. Cusco (city)

Joe from Houston

Consider the Salkantay Trek Machu Picchu - much fewer people and actually a better trek.

1. Salkantay Trek Machu Picchu (attraction)