Lisa-Marie
Johannesburg, Gauteng

Lisa-Marie from Johannesburg, Gauteng asked

Best research tools for traveling

I'm new to traveling solo and planning on hopefully traveling extensively from here on out. I just want to find out what your best resources are when researching travel options....any comprehensive blogs that include great detail on the destinations that you could share? I like living life off the beaten path so don't want to end up doing the typical tourist stuff. I'd like to be a traveler...not a tourist....so would like to find ways of really experiencing the heart and soul of the places I visit. I enjoy art, history, music, dance, in fact...one of my aims here is to travel the world, learning the dances native to each different country or city that I visit. Learning about the rituals and origins behind those dances, how they came about and how they are practiced today. To connect with the world through dance and hopefully spread a bit of its joy to the people I meet along my travels,  At the moment I have the following lined up....so any advice with these and other surrounding destinations would be very much appreciated

Cuba   Nicaragua   Cayman Islands   Haiti   Panama   Ecuador

Juliana from Las Vegas

Hi Lisa! It takes a lot of research as you may know, I personally love reading books on where I'm planning on going, I learn a lot that way. I also collect National Geographic magazines, that is another great way to learn new cultures and customs. Good luck :)

Scotty from Sydney, Australia

You can't avoid Lonely Planet, both the books & the forum. The books are often out of date & the forum is full of snarky opinionated drop kicks, that said they are both great sources of very good info.

Scotty
& travel blogs, Indiana Jo is one of many good ones :)