Lisa-Marie
Johannesburg, Gauteng

Cuba, Nicaragua, Cayman Islands, Haiti, Panama, Ecuador

Best research tools for traveling

I'm new to traveling solo and planning on hopefully traveling extensively from here on out. I just want to find out what your best resources are when researching travel options....any comprehensive blogs that include great detail on the destinations that you could share? I like living life off the beaten path so don't want to end up doing the typical tourist stuff. I'd like to be a traveler...not a tourist....so would like to find ways of really experiencing the heart and soul of the places I visit. I enjoy art, history, music, dance, in fact...one of my aims here is to travel the world, learning the dances native to each different country or city that I visit. Learning about the rituals and origins behind those dances, how they came about and how they are practiced today. To connect with the world through dance and hopefully spread a bit of its joy to the people I meet along my travels,  At the moment I have the following lined up....so any advice with these and other surrounding destinations would be very much appreciated

Juliana from Las Vegas

Hi Lisa! It takes a lot of research as you may know, I personally love reading books on where I'm planning on going, I learn a lot that way. I also collect National Geographic magazines, that is another great way to learn new cultures and customs. Good luck :)

Scotty from Sydney, Australia

You can't avoid Lonely Planet, both the books & the forum. The books are often out of date & the forum is full of snarky opinionated drop kicks, that said they are both great sources of very good info.