Jane asked

Best gateway airport to enter and exit Cuba?

We are planning to join a tour group in Cuba. As an American - access to the country is still dicey. The tour begins in Cuba, so it is on us to to in and out of the country. Should we fly from Mexico City or via the Bahamas? We don't want a Cuba stamp in our passports

Cuba

Crystal from Anchorage

Hello,

I went to Cuba as an American a few years ago from Cancun. We just went to a travel agency there and they booked the ticket without any problem. We did pay in cash, as we were paranoid about showing any paper trail that we bought the ticket, but that might be an unnecessary step now. It was very easy and the Cuban official did not stamp our passport when we arrived in Havana. Instead we got a paper with the stamp on that was collected when we left. We did have an extra exit and entry stamp from our flights in and out of Cancun which I suppose could have looked suspicious, but I was never questioned. 

This is my personal experience, I hope it gives you some insight!

Happy travels, feel free to email me with more questions at travelerstoast@gmail.com

1. Cuba (attraction)
  2. Cancun (city)
  3. Havana (city)