Jaak
Estonia

Cuba

Best form of travel across the country? Rental? With or without driver?

6 people gang, 2 weeks trip.

Jo from Montreal

Hi Jaak, I spent a month in Cuba in January and found getting round not complicated but often tedious via bus. We ended up taking taxis sometimes long distances as needed as well. If I go again I would for sure rent a car and I would drive myself. Roads are in great repair and I would feel quite safe driving. 

Sometimes having a driver can be nice although you way often get pulled into doing things you are not interested in doing: visiting restaurants or cigar-making places that aren't on your route. 

We covered a lot of places so I can give you more info if you're interested. 

For sure go to Las Terrazas and stay in the little huts. It was the bepart at of our trip. 

1. Cuba (country)
  2. Las Terrazas (metro area)

Guiselaine from Netherlands

I traveled Cuba mostly by bus. I loved it! But you need patience, because it takes a long time.

If your gone rent a car. I would for sure drive yourself. Cuba is a very safe place for tourists and the people are very friendly to help you when you ask something. The roads are in good conditions.

If you take a driver they know there way around, but I agree with Jo you probably end up sometimes doing things you don't want to.

1. Cuba (country)

Ignacio from London

Rent a car and drive yourself. As pointed out before, having a Cuban driver might get your car flagged down non stop. Also the t might affect your insurance. Avoid driving at night or late evening as roads in Cuba are full of surprises and badly lit.

Get comprehensive insurance and plan ahead. Scheduling stops along the way might make the trip more enjoyable and safer. It's generally safe and Cubans are friendly. You'll see plenty of people doing auto stop. It's safe to pick them up but make sure you stick to your planned route to avoid delays and let them know. 

Using buses takes a lot patience, and stick to Viazul coaches if you're doing that. 

1. Cuba (country)

Ugo from Zurich

Hey ! 

Don't rent a car it's a way too much expensive and you will miss lot of great meet with either locals and travelers.

If you make a stop at playa larga go for hostal villa rosita, you'll find it on trip advisor or fb for more details but this casa is really one of the best in Cuba.

Enjoy your trip !

Jaak from Estonia

Am thinking to take a bus or transfer (wdyt?) from Varadero to Havana, spend 2-3 days there, then rent a car and go Vinales for a day, then aim towards Trinidad (Cuba) and east. Maybe if we feel really crazy go and climb the  Pico Turquino. And then rest somewhere seaside.. maybe go fishin? :)

Thanks for all the current (and future) suggestions!

1. Varadero (attraction)
  2. Havana (city)
  3. Vinales (city)
  4. Trinidad (Cuba) (city)
  5. Pico Turquino (attraction)