Samuel
San Diego

Croatia

Places to go/Things to do in Croatia

I'm going to Croatia this summerwith the Folks. I've never been and I'm curious about what they have to do and see there. im trying to travel the country so if its a five hour drive from Istria will probably get done! thanks for your Info i'll be putting it to good use! 

Kim from Idaho

Dubrovnik is amazing but I'd also recommend  Plitvice Lakes National Park National Park. The waterfalls are stunning and plentiful. The colosseum in Pula is also spectacular and incredibly well preserved. 

1. Pula (city)
  2. Plitvice Lakes National Park (park)

Angela from San Francisco

Samuel, how long do you plan on being in Croatia? Croatia is a very diverse country with beautiful coast and lush to rocky mainlands. If you are starting in Istira I would recommend spending a few days there and visiting  Pula. If you want to move around I would suggest heading AT LEAST as far South as Split. You could visit  Plitvice Lakes National Park and  Krka National Park on the way to Split. There are also some nice coastal cities such as  Zadar and  Trogir. Once you got to Split you could also visit a number of nearby islands, my favorite being  Brac. There is a famous beach  Zlatni Rat, but the real gem of the island is the highest point Vidova Gora. 

Another option you have is to leave from Istira, visit Zagreb and from there fly to  Dubrovnik. Depending on the time of year flights can be as cheap as $50 one way and the easiest/fastest way to get the Southern tip of the country. Dubrovnik is worth seeing and there are many things to do in Dubrovnik including visiting the neighboring countries cities of Mostar and Kotor. From Dubrovnik you could work your way back up the coast to Split. 

It really depends on how long you will spending on Croatia and if you want to drive. Croatia doesn't have the great rail system of many of the other European countries. My top picks in Croatia are Dubrovnik, Split, Brac, and Plitvice Lakes. Have fun planning!

1. Pula (city)
  2. Plitvice Lakes National Park (park)
  3. Krka National Park (attraction)
  4. Zadar (city)
  5. Trogir (attraction)
  6. Brac (city)
  7. Zlatni Rat (attraction)
  8. Dubrovnik (city)
  9. Kotor (city)
  10. Mostar (city)

Aymen from Ljubljana

Croatia is much more then just a coastline…For me the most beautiful parts are away from land – on islands. Places like Hvar, Brac, Vis, Korcula, Mljet, Kornati Islands….if you wish to explore the Croatia at its best…this is the best if you ask me…

I am a part of the company that is doing cruises and I do not wish to advertise on this page…We have a really cool brochure (free) called BEST HIDDEN PLACES CROATIA – which you will only know if the locals tell you If you wish send me a personal massage and I give you access to this…things.

If you do not have time to visit islands, then I agree with the comment above.

Go to Ljubljana(amazing) visit Postojna cave (if possible) if you are only staying in Croatia then go to Zadar, check Krka National Park waterfalls in Skradin, Dubrovnik is a must, but the drive form Pula to there with a car is around 6 – 8 hours…..

In either case you will love it.

1. Hvar (city)
  2. Brac (city)
  3. Vis (city)
  4. Korcula (island)
  5. Postojna (city)
  6. Krka National Park (attraction)
  7. Skradin (city)
  8. Dubrovnik (city)
  9. Pula (city)
  10. Mljet (attraction)
  11. Kornati (attraction)
  12. Ljubljana (city)
  13. Zadar (city)

Toni from Croatia

Hi Samuel,

Istria is one of my favorite regions in Croatia because it combines the beautiful beaches, exotic mainland, and delicious cuisine. 

For coastal cities, I recommend you visit UmagNovigradPorecVrsarRovinj, and  Pula. Whila in Pula, also check out Medulin and especially Kamenjak Park in  Premantura

For mainland, definitely visit GroznjanMotovun, and  Hum. While there, try the original Croatian truffles, wine, meat, and olives.

Here's a great resource for Istria: Official Tourist Website of Istria.

Also check out this Google Map for more details.

If you'll be driving, also go visit following places in Slovenia: PortorozPiranBledBohinj, and  Julian Alps. Postojna Cave and Ljubljana are also nice, as recommended by Hjortur.

Driving through Istria will take up a week. You can stay in one place and drive to different places or you can stay at different places each day. Places I mentioned in Slovenia will take another three days to explore.

If you have more time, then you can go farther south in Croatia to Kvarner regions and Dalmatia. Let me know and I'll give you some recommendations for those regions.

1. Umag (city)
  2. Novigrad (city)
  3. Porec (city)
  4. Vrsar (city)
  5. Rovinj (city)
  6. Pula (city)
  7. Medulin (city)
  8. Premantura (city)
  9. Motovun (city)
  10. Portoroz (city)
  11. Piran (city)
  12. Bohinj (city)
  13. Groznjan (attraction)
  14. Hum (attraction)
  15. Julian Alps (attraction)
  16. Bled (city)

Hjörtur from Copenhagen

Hi Samuel

Istria is not a central location in Croatia, so you will not be able to explore the southern part of Croatia from there, like the beautiful Dubrovnik. Split is about 5 hours away (from Rijeka, more if you're staying around Pula) and driving back and forth on the same day and trying to experience something would be a bit of a stretch. A little bit closer is Šibenik which is a truly fascinating town from the middle ages.

There are however many interesting places within reach. To the east and within Croatia I can recommend  Plitvica national park, a true natural gem. 

To the north of Istria I recommend visiting  Ljubljana, the beautiful capital of Slovenia which is only about 2-3 hours away. On the way over there you will find the  Postojna Cave, a magnificent cave system well worth visiting. 

To the west you can go visit Venice in Italy, which is only 3-4 hours away. 

Adding those places to your itinerary should guarantee you an unforgettable trip :)

1. Plitvica (neighborhood)
  2. Šibenik (city)
  3. Ljubljana (city)
  5. Postojna Cave (attraction)

Stefanie from Bonn

You should definitely visit  Plitvice Lakes National Park

1. Plitvice Lakes National Park (park)

Robert from Oradea

Hi, Sam! You should definitely visit  Plitvice Lakes National Park, one of the best natural attractions in Croatia (only 3h driving), the  Amphitheatre Pula / Arena Pula, 30-40 minutes (driving) from Istria. You could also try one of the closer islands like  Rab and  Krk, or if you are willing to drive a little bit more, go either to  Krka National Park (4.5h driving) or if you're willing to drive more, visit  Dubrovnik, the most beautiful city in Croatia, also called the Pearl of the Adriatic Sea.

1. Amphitheatre Pula / Arena Pula (attraction)
  2. Rab (city)
  3. Krk (city)
  4. Krka National Park (attraction)
  5. Plitvice Lakes National Park (park)
  6. Dubrovnik (city)