Shelby
Charleston

Croatia, Zagreb, Split, Hvar, Dubrovnik, Zadar

Croatia Itinerary

My best friend and I are heading to Croatia next month and debating our itinerary. Is this too crazy- or any places you would suggest cutting/spending more time? We are mid 30s, not trying to break the bank but not staying at hostels. Also, is there a ride share service like bla-bla car?

Day 1- Arrive Zagreb 5:15pm
Day 2- Zagreb
Day 3- Plitves, Sleep Zadar
Day 4- Zadar- Sleep Split
Day 5- Split- Sleep Hvar
Day 6-Hvar
Day 7-Dubrovnik
Day 8- Dubrovnik
Day 9- Fly Home early am

Antica from Zagreb

Hi! Your itinerary is quite good and well planned. On the way from Zadar to Split you might stop for 2 hours in Sibenik and visit its Cathedral. The same for the island of Mljet, national park. it is between Hvar and Dubrovnik and is unique. Very quiet place but beautiful and it is possible to rent bikes for ride around the lakes.

Travel in Croatia is quite well organized by buses and the prices are reasonable. The same hopping from an island to the other one and then to Dubrovnik.

Have a good time in Croatia.

Jasmina from Zagreb

It is doable, but you will not have time to rest and enjoy your stay. One day for Dubrovnik is enough if you only want to see the old town. You might want to spend two days on Hvar and enjoy beautiful beaches. Visiting Mljet is also a good idea.

Kathy from Wilmington

We loved split/have/Dubrovnik. Would spend more time there if you could

Jörgen from Vaggeryd

In my opinion to much travelling and not enough checking out the places. Skip Hvar and stay one night in Makarska riviera. Buses are avalaible.

Charles from London, United Kingdom

Too much moving around in my opinion. Not worth going to Hvar for one night. No experience with blablacar in Croatia but you can check it out yourself to see if there are any rides there. There's no other competitor to look at though. Public transport or one way car hire are your options unless you can get blablacar to work for you.

Antica from Zagreb

Hi Shelby. Your itinerary is quite good. Regarding transportation thee is a good bus service and you can use it easily. Between Split and Hvar and hvar and Dubrovnik there are fast boats.

Have a good time

Caitlin from Boston

Hi Shelby! My sister, a friend and I did a very similar trip through Croatia in May. In terms of scheduling, I think this is manageable, but you might find that you spend too much time in transit.

I'd recommend adjusting your itinerary so that you spend 2 days in Hvar. Even though the ferry ride to the island is short, you have to tack on a couple hours for time associated with buying tickets and queuing. I think you could skip the night in either Split of Zadar. Driving directly from Plitvice to Split makes for a long travel day, but you're perfectly positioned to take the ferry to Hvar after a morning exploring Split.

We found the driving in Croatia to be very easy. Great signage, normal traffic patterns, etc. In terms of car rental, we used Sixt. We left the car in a parking garage in Split during our two days in Hvar, it was a bit of an extra expense, but convenient. 

I hope this helps!

Here is a picture of Hvar For inspiration :)

1. Hvar (attraction)