Susan

Croatia

Best islands to visit between Dubrovnik and Split?

Hello!

I'm planning a trip to Dubrovnik - Split and would love to know the best islands to visit.

I've heard of Hvar as the "party island" and may spend half a day to a day there, but am mostly looking for a mix of beach time, nature, and culture vs. partying and going out.

Here are the dates:

Aug 9-13: Dubrovnik

Aug 13-15: Islands between Dubrovnik and Split (ferrying)

Aug 15-19: Split

Traveling on a budget so suggestions of places to stay on islands and in Split (set on hotel for Dubrovnik already), as well as places to eat would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

Kristal from San Francisco

Hi Susan, 

I'm slightly jealous, Croatia is one of my favorite places! You'll have a blast. If I can recommend something that is a bit of a drive, but totally worth it. If you aren't planning to do so already, I would definitely recommend heading to Plitvice Lakes National Park and Krka National Park. We were pressed for time so we did both in one day and while I do not recommend it, it's obviously doable. Even with the time restrictions I fell in love, Krka is one of my favorite places... I found it so peaceful and breathtaking. It seems like you're into nature and both are gorgeous!

Ok back to what you actually asked haha... in terms of islands I would actually say I enjoyed Hvar. I wasn't looking to party so I can't comment on that either way. I do think there is a main club there which is why you've probably heard that and there seemed to be a lot of young people gathering at the harbor at night, but here's why it was one of my favorite Croatian destinations:

- the food was great! My meal at Konoba Menego was amazing! The fish and their young sheep cheese with honey (dessert) are 2 dishes I still dream about to this day.

- The scenery was amazing, it was peaceful - we did hikes and walked around the island. 

- I am obsessed with lavender (mainly the smell), it was great to visit the lavender fields and see them blooming.

- We did some wine tasting (Tomic Wine Boutique)

We didn't go but Brac is known for their beach, I will caution thought that everyone told us it's not as big as it looks in pictures and like most of the beaches in Croatia it isn't a sand beach, it's pebbles and small rocks. 

Dubrovnik is pretty small and can be seen in a day or 2 (I'd highly recommend walking the city walls) so if you're looking to do something else, there is Cavtat which is accessible by bus, there are a few nice restaurants and less people around the water.

I hope this helps. 

Have a great time,

Kristal

1. Plitvice Lakes National Park (park)
  2. Krka National Park (attraction)
  3. Hvar (city)
  4. Konoba Menego (restaurant)
  5. Tomic Wine Boutique (attraction)
  6. Dubrovnik (city)
  7. Cavtat (city)

Todd from Boston

Can't really comment on islands or budget hotels, but here goes: in Dubrovnik check out a restaurants inside the walled city like Rozario and Poklisar best seafood I've had in a very long time (and I'm from New England!). Also make your way up to Buza Bar on the Adriatic side of the walled city. It's kinda hidden but if you can find it you'll appreciate its laid back vibe and it's the best place to catch a sunset. 

In between cities if you have a few hours and a car, make the trip up to Mostar in Bosnia and Herzegovina and walk around the old town and see the famous bridge and eat at a restaurant along the river. Pro tip: the road you take to get into Bosnia and up to Mostar is the road you should take back. We got VERY lost trying to get up to Split

My only suggestion for Split is to make a day trip to the walled city of Trogir. Much smaller than Dubrovnik. Make your way through to the waterfront and grab a seat at an outdoor cafe for drinks and some light food.

1. Dubrovnik (city)
  2. Rozario (restaurant)
  3. Poklisar (restaurant)
  4. Buza Bar (attraction)
  5. Mostar (city)
  6. Bosnia and Herzegovina (country)
  7. Split (city)
  8. Trogir (city)

Anja from Zagreb

Hvar is beautiful and definitely worth visiting! Altough it is known as a party island, there's so much more to see and do there. Inlands are amazing, but for exploring it I would recommend renting a car so you can visit all the coves along the way. In your case, I would suggest visiting also Brac and Korcula. Viškovo is one of my favourite islands but it doesn't offer much partying and all the amazing places are hidden so you should rent a car for sure. You have a lot of day trips from Split to Hvar and Brac but islanda are really beautiful so give yourself a bit more time to enjoy them :)

1. Hvar (city)
  2. Brac (city)
  3. Korcula (island)
  4. Viškovo (city)
  5. Split (city)

Toni from Croatia

Hi Susan,

Here are my recommendations on the islands to see.

Dubrovnik:

• Elaphites dot the landscape northwest of Dubrovnik with just 3 main islands: Koločep Kolocep is the closest, offering beaches adorned with sea caves, pebbles, sand, and ancient forests, including olive and lemon groves. Lopud is carless, but still easy to get around to the monasteries, churches, and lovely stone houses. Sipan once the darling of Dubrovnik society, is the largest of the inhabited islands. The remains of a Roman villa and a 15th century Gothic Palace treat visitors to luxury that is at once contemporary and historic. Ferry service from the mainland and neighboring islands allows access to the Elafiti islands year round.
  • Also check out Lokrum Island, just 2,000 feet from the coastline of Dubrovnik's Old Port. The island is close-in and convenient, served by regular ferry service from Dubrovnik.

Split:

Have fun and report back on your experience!

1. Koločep (attraction)
  2. Lopud (city)
  3. Sipan (city)
  4. Lokrum Island (attraction)
  5. Brac (city)
  6. Hvar (city)
  7. Korcula (island)
  8. Makarska (city)
  9. Pelješac (attraction)