Gonçalo
Lisbon

Croatia

5 day trip in July, where to go in Croatia?

I'm going to Croatia in July in a Erasmus + program and I will arrive 5 days earlier and want to travel as much as I can and meet the best places in a cheapest way if possible. 

I was thinking about visiting the Plitvice lakes, Zadar and Split and then come back to Zagreb, what do you think? how many days in each place? Is there any cheap option of sleeping around this places? Should I visit another ones with less tourists?

I've been in Zagreb and Gospic already, and was looking forward to go south and meet people around and the beautiful country. 

Thanks in advance for your help.

Toni from Croatia

Hi Gonçalo,

I recommend renting a car so you can also spend a day in the beautiful Istraand Kvarner regions.  The rooms by locals are your cheapest option - you can find them on your own while driving around or at a local agency in the cities you visit. Enjoy!

1. Istra (region)
  2. Kvarner (attraction)

Kristal from San Francisco

While I don't know much about actual places to stay, you can look at airbnb, Trip Advisor, vrbo or even consider couch surfing to save money. You can filter by price so that helps narrow it down.

In terms of suggestions I would definitely say Plitvice Lakes National Park is a must! I only spent about 5/6 hours here and although I could've stayed for longer, I got to take in the beauty and really enjoy it. I would also recommend Krka National Park, it was one of my favorite places in Croatia. However, if you want to stick with the south, I would recommend visiting an island (I am in love with Hvar, you can also visit Brac) and heading to the smaller towns... TrogirDubrovnikCavtat. These can all be done in a couple hours (except for the islands where you will have to plan to spend about 2 hours on the boat there and back and allot for enough time to see the island) if you want to maximize your time. There is a bus that takes 30 minutes from Split to Trogir, the ferry to Hvar also takes off from Split. Dubrovnik and Cavtat are further, but both small so you could see them both in a day if you're very determined. I would say that Split is nice, but since it's a larger touristy port city, it's not as breathtaking as some other places. You can check out the main attractions in half a day. 

Good luck and have fun!

-Kristal

1. Plitvice Lakes National Park (park)
  2. Krka National Park (attraction)
  3. Hvar (city)
  4. Brac (city)
  5. Trogir (city)
  6. Dubrovnik (city)
  7. Cavtat (city)

Gonçalo from Lisbon

That may be a great idea, because I have to go after to Slovenia, and it's close. Thank you Toni. 

Mobile