Taylor
New Orleans

Croatia

3 weeks in Croatia, what are unique towns I can visit?

I am planning a lengthy trip to Croatia and would love some recommendations! Of course I know to visit Zagreb, Plitvice Lakes, Zadar, Split, and Dubrovnik. But what I want to know is where are some other unique towns I could visit? Where are the best places to eat in Croatia? Where are the best places to go hiking? Share your Croatian travel secrets!

Antonio Dzaja from Zadar

Depends what do you really like? Pula, Rovinj, Nin, bunch of small towns south of Zadar. Hiking is the best in National Parks, for hiking Paklenica National Park (just don't go hiking in flip flops and bring enough water).  For eating clams, oysters, squids, shrimps and fresh grade 1 fish in small restaurnats is a must :) We are coastal nation after all :) Of meat, Pašticada, Prchuto and Kulen. I work in tourist agency and I have a lot of experience with guests from U.S. and my recommendation is to try to stay away from snaps called "Rakija" since usually guests from U.S. are not accustomed to that amount of alcohol percentage. Croatia is one of the best places in World (in Europe for sure) for boating. So don't miss that. Wine tasting and rafting is also great. If you point me your interests I can help you much more.

1. Pula (city)
  2. Rovinj (attraction)
  3. Nin (city)
  4. Zadar (city)
  5. Paklenica National Park (attraction)

Missy from Newport

I would add the island of Mljet to your list, arriving by ferry to the town of Polače.  A large part of Mljet is a National Park including the waters around.  And within the National Park are the Malo jezero  which are Small and Large Lake which are beautiful.  Within the lakes is an old monastery on an island, with little National Park boats that take you to the island to explore.  There are many trails through the Park for hiking and bicycling, and bicycles are available to be rented in Polace.  Due to the surrounding waters being part of the National Park, large scale fisheries are banned, and so the waters are full of seafood.  A favorite restaurant of mine in Polace is Restaurant Ankora, where the Owner makes fresh black squid ink risotto that is excellent.  There are other restaurants along the harbor front, where seafood is keep alive to be the freshest in baskets sunk into the waters under their docks until ordered.  And many of the restaurants here offer traditional Peka Cooking with hot wood ash under the Dalmatian Peka Bell.

1. Mljet (attraction)
  2. Polače (city)
  3. Malo jezero (attraction)

Sarah from Philadelphia

Add Hvar to your list! As long as it's not the height of the season, this island and accompanying archipelago are a beautiful place to explore and relax for a few days. We also rented a car from Dubrovnik and drove the short distance to Montenegro... The Bay of Kotor is gorgeous! I recommend the switchback drive (and summit hike) to the top of Mount Lovcen.

1. Hvar (city)
  2. Dubrovnik (city)
  3. Montenegro (country)

Toni from Croatia

Hi Taylor,

There's a similar inquiry on Trippy that provides a nice overview of places to visit: http://www.trippy.com/question/Croatia-Top-places-things-to-do-in-Croatia-in-two-weeks.

You can see and experience a lot in 3 weeks in Croatia. My recommendation is that you start planning ahead by checking out some useful resources listed below:

As you find things you like, add them to your Google map, similar to what I have done here: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=z__IpAAPCxSE.kT5t1h2_B1_8.

I would recommend that you rent a car - that will give you the flexibility to see and do things you want.

Finally, during the trip, don't forget to engage with locals and get their recommendations on what to see and do. You're sure to discover some hidden treasures this way.

Hope you can come back after the trip and share with us highlights from your trip!

Fun travels!

1. Croatia (country)

Lyn from Manhattan Beach

I spent three weeks in Croatia last year (2014) and it was wonderful!  Of course, Dubrovnik.  Then SplitOpatija, Postojnska jama Cave Grotte Höhle, Zagreb, Hvar, Istria.  Then, not in Croatia, but very close by, Lake Bled, Slovenia (must see!!!!); Ljubljana, Slovenia; Kotor, Montenegro; Mostar, Bosnia.

1. Croatia (country)
  2. Dubrovnik (city)
  3. Split (city)
  4. Opatija (city)
  5. Postojnska jama Cave Grotte Höhle (attraction)
  6. Zagreb (city)
  7. Hvar (city)
  8. Istria (attraction)
  9. Lake Bled (attraction)
  10. Ljubljana (city)
  11. Kotor (city)
  12. Mostar (city)

Jon from Cromer

If you're traveling down the Adriatic HwyŠibenik is well worth a visit, for it's wonderful UNESCO heritage cathedral and proximity to Krka National Park. Between there and Split is a gem of an island town, Trogir, which also benefits from UNESCO protection.  

In addition to Kotor in neighbouring Montengro, which has been mentioned in another reply, another feasible - and pretty amazing day trip is Mostar, in Bosnia. 

Have agreat time wherever you end up visiting :)

1. Adriatic Hwy (attraction)
  2. Šibenik (city)
  3. Krka National Park (attraction)
  4. Split (city)
  5. Trogir (city)
  6. Kotor (city)
  7. Mostar (city)

Leonardo

The island: Hvar!

It is amazing!

1. Hvar (city)