Oscar

Crete, Chania, Greece

Two weeks road trip in Crete? Where should I visit?

I am getting married in Crete, Chania more specifically. We are planning to spend the honeymoon exploring the island after the ceremony. We will be around Chania for the week of the wedding but after that I am not sure how to organize the trip (go East, go West, where to stay as a base for every section of the trip, etc}. Any ideas?

wassim from Beirut

I've been to Crete and stayed in Chania (Kalathas to be more specific) and it was great! You can spend your time by the beaches and visit the old town.

If you're staying for 2 weeks, you have plenty of time to visit the neighboring cities (Heraklion and Rethymno); I highly recommend you hike the Samaria Gorge, you will have the best experience.

As where to stay, it depends on what would you like to experience the most, I stayed in Chania because it's the closest to the Samaria and the quietest, Heraklion is a busty city with lots of shops, monuments and museums (I got to explore most of it within a day).

In all cases, you will need a couple of hours to get from one city to another, it's a very big island (the biggest in Greece in fact) but the scenery is breathtaking!

Hope this helps, enjoy your honey moon and congratulations!

1. Crete (island)
  2. Chania (attraction)
  3. Kalathas (city)
  4. Heraklion (city)
  5. Rethymno (city)
  6. Samaria Gorge (attraction)

Snorre from Skien

I am an Norwegian, but I stay on Crete long periods now as I am retired. 

Here on crete it is a lot to see, and I would travel around, stay on different places, or else it will be to much driving.  Crete is a big island, about 300 km long and 10 to 50 km wide.  Roads are not so good, and only on the New National road you can drive 70 - 90 km/h. The other roads are more like going 30-50 km/h. 

to see most, I recommend the following route: ChaniaElafonissiPelekanos,Omalos,the top of Samariá GorgeAgia GaliniFaistosIerapetraSitia, Wai beach, Elounda,  SpinalongaHeraklion and there see Knossos, Rethymno and Myligorge , and then to Chania

1. Chania (attraction)
  2. Elafonissi (hotel)
  3. Pelekanos (city)
  4. Omalos (city)
  5. Samariá Gorge (attraction)
  6. Agia Galini (city)
  7. Faistos (region)
  8. Ierapetra (city)
  9. Sitia (city)
  10. Elounda (city)
  11. Spinalonga (attraction)
  12. Heraklion (city)
  13. Rethymno (city)
  14. Myli (city)

Kim

1. Lasithi Plateau (region)
  2. Knossos (attraction)
  3. Elounda (city)
  4. Chrysi (attraction)
  5. Spinalonga (attraction)
  6. Imbros (metro area)
  7. Samaria Gorge (attraction)

Vaggelis from Rethimno

You should visit Rethymno too!

1. Rethymno (city)

Alecia from Kailua Kona

It looks like everyone has included the top spots. Elafonisi was my favorite. Go there! It is remarkable. Also Samaria gorge hike was a unique (not easy) experience. One thing I would love to recommend is a food that has left me wanting to return just for it. There was a crepe place in the main area of Chaniathat had bueno creme as a crepe filling. It is supposedly like the filling of the kinder bueno bars and similar to nutella but Beyer. It was so good with strawberries and cookies on a crepe. I have looked for it everywhere and online and can't find it anywhere but if you see it, try it! It's heavenly.

1. Elafonisi (attraction)
  2. Samaria (restaurant)
  3. Chania (city)

Angela

I preferred the west side and middle of the island. Rethymno beach base in Chania and then go from there. West is greener and less tousity, thats my opinion. I found the east okay but too touristy. Heraklion is hot and dry but beaches around there are okay. Beaches on west are nicer and less rocky

1. Rethymno (city)
  2. Chania (city)