Alecia
Kailua Kona

Crete, Chania, Greece

Palace of knossos- is it worth the drive from Chania?

Is it worth going to the palace of knossos if staying in Chania and only have a few days? I know it's one of the top attractions but also that it's a long drive. Opinions are welcome!

Alikn from Montreal

If you are a history or archaeology buff, it's a must-see. It was a highlight of my trip. But there are also alot of other archaeological sites that are really cool and way less crowded, basically everywhere and alot closer to Chania if you just want to see some ruins. 

Alot of the most impressive elements at Knossos are reproductions and reconstructions. You can see the real ones at the museum in Heraklion (another must).  Have fun ! Crete is amazing !

1. Knossos (restaurant)

Anna from Athens

Hello Alecia! As a Greek "insider" (and married to a Cretan no less) I'd say that it's worth the drive! It's a 2hour drive (according to Google maps) and I can assure you that the road is pretty good! You can make a daytrip out of it and visit Heraklion as well (walk around the city center which is small and even visit the Archeological museum if you'd like to). You could also make a stop at Rethimno and walk in the city center as well (to be honest Rethymno is far prettier than Herakleion). If you'd like to incorporate swimming in your trip you can stop at Agia Pelagia or Bali for swimming and lunch dinner! Let me know if you'd like more information about Crete. I'd be more than happy to help!

1. Heraklion (city)
  2. Rethimno (city)
  3. Agia Pelagia (attraction)
  4. Bali (attraction)

Angela

Loved Knossos. A hot dry place but if you love Minoan civilisation, do it. Why regret ?  Yes its a long drive but long the way you have amazing beaches and country to see so not an unpleasant drive either. 

1. Knossos (restaurant)