Alecia
Kailua Kona

Alecia from Kailua Kona asked

Palace of knossos- is it worth the drive from Chania?

Is it worth going to the palace of knossos if staying in Chania and only have a few days? I know it's one of the top attractions but also that it's a long drive. Opinions are welcome!

Crete   Chania (Greece)   Greece

Alikn from Montreal

If you are a history or archaeology buff, it's a must-see. It was a highlight of my trip. But there are also alot of other archaeological sites that are really cool and way less crowded, basically everywhere and alot closer to Chania if you just want to see some ruins. 

Alot of the most impressive elements at Knossos are reproductions and reconstructions. You can see the real ones at the museum in Heraklion (another must).  Have fun ! Crete is amazing !

1. Knossos (restaurant)
Anna from Athens

Hello Alecia! As a Greek "insider" (and married to a Cretan no less) I'd say that it's worth the drive! It's a 2hour drive (according to Google maps) and I can assure you that the road is pretty good! You can make a daytrip out of it and visit Heraklion as well (walk around the city center which is small and even visit the Archeological museum if you'd like to). You could also make a stop at Rethimno and walk in the city center as well (to be honest Rethymno is far prettier than Herakleion). If you'd like to incorporate swimming in your trip you can stop at Agia Pelagia or Bali for swimming and lunch dinner! Let me know if you'd like more information about Crete. I'd be more than happy to help!

Alecia
Thank you Anna! Any info on crete is appreciated. We are planning on hiking the samaria gorge and the rest not sure yet. Elofonissi beach keeps popping up, not sure on that. Only have 3 days and I could probably easily stay 3 months!

Anna
Elafonissi is indeed GORGEOUS...it's on my top beaches (you can see photos here: http://aspectsofstyle.com/2015/06/11/greek-beaches/). Elafonisi is about 1,5 hour drive from Chania, but alternatives are Balos beach (you have to get a boat trip from Kissamos) and Falasarna! For the Samaria gorge you're going to need a whole day. I haven't been there but I know there are buses that take you from Chania to Omalos, then you walk down the gorge to Agia Roumeli. from there you take a boat to Chora Sfakion and then the bus takes you again back to Chania. 3 days are indeed little time! Are you visiting other islands as well?

Alecia
Thanks Anna. I am visiting athens, Santorini and mykonos. All 3 days a piece. Samaria is our top choice and we plan to dedicate the full day to it. The other day trip we were debating on palace of knossos vs elafonissi? Your thoughts? I know that's like comparing apples to oranges! I would appreciate the help!

Anna
Oh man...tough choice...but I might be able to help you out. I see that you're from Hawaii right? so you've probably seen beautiful tropical beaches. Elafonisi looks like this http://i0.wp.com/aspectsofstyle.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/p1110685.jpg?fit=724%2C724 and although it is beautiful it is a beach after all. Knossos palace is something you're not going to see anywhere else in the world. Truth be told! As for the rest of your vacations 3 days in Athens, Mykonos and Santorini are good measure. Here are some guides I've written about these places, you might find some useful tips. http://aspectsofstyle.com/2014/07/23/a-quick-guide-to-santorini/ http://aspectsofstyle.com/2015/08/06/mykonos-guide/ http://aspectsofathens.com/2014/07/28/a-quick-guide-to-athens/ If you need any more information shoot me an email at anna@aspectsofstyle.com I'd be happy to help!!

Alecia
Thank you again for all your help! I am actually from kentucky! I've lived in hawaii for the last several months. I tend to agree about the beach thing though. The palace sounds more unique to Crete!

Optimist
I agree with Anna & Alikn - Heraklion is worth a visit, if only for the amazing museum (you can chart the incredible rise and sudden cataclysmic fall of the Minoan/Mycenaean civilisation, just by walking past the painted vases). Great street food in Heraklion too. I loved Knossos, but I love ancient Greek culture, and Knossos really blew me away. The place of women in the culture (well, upper class ones), the history of the site and its discovery, the technology the Knossosites had - all brilliant. But as Alikn says, there are fantastic archaeological sites all over Crete. And the people are fantastic. It's my favourite part of Greece, hands down :-)

1. Heraklion (city)
  2. Rethimno (city)
  3. Agia Pelagia (city)
  4. Bali (city)
Angela

Loved Knossos. A hot dry place but if you love Minoan civilisation, do it. Why regret ?  Yes its a long drive but long the way you have amazing beaches and country to see so not an unpleasant drive either. 

1. Knossos (restaurant)

Login   ·   About   ·   FAQ   ·   Contact   ·   Privacy   ·   Terms