Peter

Crater Lake National Park, Oregon

Place to stay w/ Kids at Crater Lake?

Driving up to Crater Lake this summer w/ 3 kids in tow. Would love a recommendation for a place to stay for 2 nights as close as possible to the lake. 

Angie from Portland

You should check out Union Creek Resort. I stayed there last year. It’s almost like a little village from the Old West with a cute little cafe and general store. You stay in these little Hansel & Gretel-y-looking rustic cabins--they’re not what I would call glamorous but they’re clean and certainly fit the feel of the area. I would think kids would love it and they’re pet friendly, too, if you happen to be bringing a pet. 

1. Union Creek Resort (hotel)

Casey from Cambridge (Massachusetts)

If you want to stay really close to the lake, try the Mazama Village Campground. You can just pitch your tent there (and I think they allow RVs, too) for something like $25. I do know you have to reserve your spots, though. 

1. Mazama Village Campground (attraction)

Alana from Spokane

I agree that Union Creek is great but I actually like Steamboat Inn better. It’s not super-high-end, either, and very rustic, too, but it’s just that little bit more refined which I why I like it. We had a beautiful balcony where we spent a lot of time and which I can see children loving because it feels like you’re in a forest. It also has a lovely garden on the premises if you’re there in the spring or early summer and it has a cute little library. 

They also do a really great thing in the restaurant which is that at a certain point in the evening they close it for just the guests which I thought was a really nice touch. Plus it’s kind of a communal setting so you get to chat with everyone. They also have wine makers come to talk to the guests which was great, although my guess is your kids won’t be terribly interested in that ;)

I don’t fish but I know they sell fishing supplies there if you’re into fishing--I would think your kids would love it! 

1. Steamboat Inn (hotel)