Kelley
Richmond, Virginia

Kelley from Richmond, Virginia asked

Acclimate for Cotopaxi Climb

Is the Secret Garden Cotopaxi hostel high enough to really acclimate the day before climbing Cotopaxi?

Cotopaxi (Ecuador)   Ecuador

Joachim from Mönchengladbach, Germany

I have done Cotopaxi. You Need several days to acclimatize. 2-3 peaks from 3000-5000 Meters altitude. Climb high sleep low... And take your time. And go with a Local Agency and Guide. They know how it works.

Kelley
Thanks! I chose to go with Gulliver with an acclimation program that includes a 13,000ft, a 16,000ft, and then quilotoa lake.

Kelley
Hey!! It's getting closer to Cotopaxi, and I'm realizing I have no idea what ski goggles to get. What lenses did you use?

Joachim
Ski goggles are not necessary. Normal quality sport sunglasses that cover your eyes from all sides are fine from my experience! Good luck!

Kelley
And those were fine with all the wind?

Joachim
You climb up during nighttime. There is wind and snow but you move sideways anyway and can turn your back wind wards most of the time. If goggles then take some skiing goggles with a light color such as yellow for foggy conditions. But sport sunglasses will be enough and more comfortable because of transpiration, lightness etc. when the sun is up. sunscreen is important- put it on at nighttime before departure to be protected for peace of mind.

Kelley
Did you need to get photochromic sunglasses though? Since I need to be able to see the headlamp at nighttime as well as keep the glare out on the way back down, that's the only option I can figure out for the sports sunglasses that might do the trick.

Kelley
Like these: https://www.julbousa.com/mountain/tensing-m/ would fit my face better than the photochromic ones I tried on (that were too wide), but I don't know if I'd be able to see on the way up since these block out so much light. P.S. sorry for all the questions (figuring this one thing out is the bane of my existence haha)

Joachim
No need to worry. At nighttime you will not be wearing sunglasses or goggles. The wind will not be so strong and if it is so strong then your guide will not climb up and wait for better conditions. It's not Mount Everest and the weather is usually stable and predictable. Invest in your overall fitness go running and hiking to be prepared. Sunglasses are the least thing to worry about. Any normal sport sunglasses will do the job.

Kelley
Thank you! I guess I've been reading too many blogs to scare me about the conditions haha

Joachim
;) Equipment is usually overrated. Any sunglasses, winter jacket and pants you find at Walmart are better then what Sir Edmund Hillary had when climbing Mt Everest for the first time.